Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Finally!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/finally-t192551.html)

jeank 06-24-2012 03:47 AM

We live in a resident owned community in FL that is posted no trespassing & no soliciting. We have called police when these meat sellers come in because they violated both of those. Police came right out.

margee 06-24-2012 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Up North (Post 5310659)
Years ago we did buy a box of steaks from one of them. They were the best steaks we ever had. Not sure I would do it anymore with all the crooks out there.

Yrs ago I also bought steaks from them. Boy they were so good. Don't know if I'd do it again as I worried ahead of time if anyone would get sick or die from eating them.

Chasing Hawk 06-24-2012 10:09 AM

We had a Lady come out to our house once, selling meat, chicken and seafood. We let her go through her sales pitch, Then she opened a few boxes, the products were vacuum sealed. To display her "wares" she laid the boxes on the ground and spread the contents on the driveway. After she was done, we said no thanks and went back in the house.

She wasn't to pleased and had never come back.....LOL

Sheila_H 06-24-2012 12:05 PM

No way on this end - with the 100 degree heat we have had I wouldn't trust anything coming out of a freezer on a truck. It has to be crooked they know someone at one of the distribution centers & is paying them for a couple of cases cash under the table type thing. You have no way of knowing how or where it was produced, was it processed following the food standards (doubtful).

mumzer 06-24-2012 03:17 PM

You can't be sure where it came from. Check with people who have bought it first. Then if you are still interested and the price is ok just buy something small to try.

Caswews 06-25-2012 05:21 AM

Nopers ...will never buy from them .. BUT I do like the Schwan pies !LOL

Steady Stiching 06-25-2012 06:11 AM

I've never seen a meat truck other than sometimes see locals selling seafood on our way down the NC coast.
Did have a big ol truck in our subidivion once...selling furniture...priced to sell.....most likely stolen merchandise so we passed.

southernmema 06-25-2012 06:34 AM

No way hosea!

Jingle 06-25-2012 07:10 PM

In 25 years of owning a business we have had meat sellers come in wanting us to buy meat. Others selling oranges, art pictures, cleaning products, etc. We are an abrasives distributor, as in sand paper, sanding belts and the such, to the industrial market. We did buy oranges, very good and cleaning solution a couple times. No meat.

burchquilts 06-25-2012 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by sewgray (Post 5310230)
I would never buy anything under those circumstances.

Me neither... for any number of reasons... the meat could be stolen, it could be poisoned, it could be who-knows-what kind of meat (like horse or something). I don't even think that's legal.