Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Finding that I'm vintage (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/finding-im-vintage-t296220.html)

Endora 04-16-2018 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw (Post 8041699)
Old-fashioned? When I was growing up, our wash line was metal. Some kind of strong wire: really a cable of many smaller wires.twisted together. It really held those barn jeans blowing in a strong wind. Such fun trying to hang them up, too. We used clothes-pins made of wood. A round piece of wood about 5 inches long with a slit cut about half way up. The really old clothes-pins had a piece of wire at the top of the slit. They were called "iron-clad". They held on tight in the wind, well, most of the time. Often we had to go collect the dry clothes from various places around the yard.

I also remember metal lines. Never used one, but definitely remember seeing a couple in my day. I can't imagine the discolouration and rust stains that happened.

I actually have a good handful of the old iron-clad pins. I never use them... also have a good number of old wooden dolly pegs, but don't use those either. I quite prefer spring pins.

LOL! I had a few pairs of rubber pants take flight off the line a few times on diaper wash day! After that I started using two pins for each pair of rubber pants is it was breezy out.

cashs_mom 04-16-2018 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by LilaKay (Post 8040921)
My granddaughter is decorating her kitchen with "antique" license plates...she found one from 1996 and was thrilled:(

OMG! My husband has "antique" license plates on the wall in the den. But they are from the 30's :D I did see a sign on eBay listed as "vintage". It was from 1986 :eek:

NZquilter 04-16-2018 09:50 AM

Maybe New Zealand was a little behind the times when I was growing up because I'm in my mid-20s and I remember seeing and using nearly everything listed here. Maybe the word "vintage" is a little loosely used nowadays? I've seen fabric called "vintage" and the copyright date on the selvege was the year I was born! I thought, 'Nice try!' I don't call my 1956 Singer 201-2 vintage, because it's as old as my DH's father.

cashs_mom 04-16-2018 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter (Post 8041727)
Maybe New Zealand was a little behind the times when I was growing up because I'm in my mid-20s and I remember seeing and using nearly everything listed here. Maybe the word "vintage" is a little loosely used nowadays? I've seen fabric called "vintage" and the copyright date on the selvege was the year I was born! I thought, 'Nice try!' I don't call my 1956 Singer 201-2 vintage, because it's as old as my DH's father.

I don't think it was just New Zealand. And I agree, "vintage" is used way too loosely. If something has an older look to it, people call it vintage. It's not vintage if it was made last year! :D

tranum 04-16-2018 05:23 PM

To be “Antique” it should be about 100 years old. Everything else is “Vintage” or “Collectable”.
It’s a common mistake made all the time.

Teen 04-16-2018 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by LilaKay (Post 8040921)
My granddaughter is decorating her kitchen with "antique" license plates...she found one from 1996 and was thrilled:(

This is classic.... Giggled out loud.

llong0233 04-16-2018 09:49 PM

Funny isn't it? Just the other day my husband asked if we had anything that could be put out for a charity coming around our neighborhood. "Something old we don't need any more" he said. I thought about it for a minute and said "Everything we have is old. I woke up one day, looked around and realized not only were we getting older, everything we owned was vintage!"

Bobbinalong 04-16-2018 10:38 PM

"What does vintage mean?" my young granddaughter asked her dad...... "Well, something old" he replied. "Oh, like Grandma" says she. :(

On another occasion, I was telling her that there was a time when the only phone we had was not only in the house, but connected to the wall. "Did that mean that you had to stay in all the time?" she asked. Clearly it would be just awful for the modern youngster to miss a phone call wouldn't it?

JoyjoyMarie 04-17-2018 05:31 AM

Had a great time reading all your stories. Nearly every thing I do these days is "vintage" - just hope I'll make it to "antique" status. I still make my egg salad with the wire egg cutter, cook my own dinners, grow my own chard, lettuce and spinach - they green up the flower beds nicely. Use a hand crank glass nut chopper. Am pleased I don't have to hand pump my well water, however - and am grateful for the modern niceties that my mom didn't have - automatic washing machines, vacuum cleaners, etc. And I still love making blankets "the hard way" like my grandmothers did way back when.

sailsablazin 04-17-2018 09:36 AM

I refused to buy digital watches for my kids when growing up. Almost all of the clocks (and we have LOTS) in my house are analog...old fashioned. Now they only use the analog ones and sure do know how to tell time!

Same with a map. Taught our kids how to know North from South with one of those. Our 10 year old daughter directed her Girl Scout leader to a camp-out one summer. (HINT--We mounted a paper map on a foam board and gave the kids 3 push pins only ---so they wouldn't stab each other while driving. One pin at the starting point and one for ending point and they took turns moving the pin as we drove from Michigan to Texas. They couldn't read yet but could recognize the next town that started with a T or L or a specific letter. That stopped the "Are we there yet?" questions).

My daughter needed a watch to take pulses (studying to be a physician's assistant). She wanted a digital one. Told her that she was going get to awfully tired from counting a pulse for a full minute until her digital watch changed. She bought an analog one. Then she HAD to wear it on her right hand "b/c all of the kids do that."(She is right handed). Told her that she would have to stand on her head to get a pulse and count on her watch at the same time. She switched...SOMETIMES they do listen!!!