Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   floor mats for office chairs - looking for ideas (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/floor-mats-office-chairs-looking-ideas-t161495.html)

Peckish 10-18-2011 09:01 PM

When I'm at my sewing machine, I sit in an office chair with wheels, which makes it easier to move between my machines and the iron. Since my sewing room is carpeted, I've been purchasing those plastic floor mats at office stores. I just threw out the third one in 2 years because it cracked and broke into pieces. I'm not real happy about forking over another $40 for a new one that will probably only last a year.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good, solid floor mat? What about alternatives? I told my husband that putting down a 4x8 sheet of plywood with some self-sticking laminate tiles was an idea, but he didn't seem very happy with that idea...

Sadiemae 10-18-2011 09:04 PM

My plastic mats last about 3 or 4 years and I bought mine at Costco. They were much cheaper than $40.

Rose L 10-18-2011 09:08 PM

What about a commercial rubber mat. Do a Google search and I'd imagine you find several companies that carry them.

Rose L 10-18-2011 09:08 PM

Poo. Sorry

snipforfun 10-18-2011 09:16 PM

I get mine at costco and actually put a new one over the old one so I have double thickness

scowlkat 10-18-2011 09:38 PM

Get rid of the carpet and put down tile - it will save money over the long run!

QuiltnNan 10-19-2011 03:05 AM

if replacing your carpeted floor is not an option, i think the plywood/tile idea is just fine. after all, what's the difference between the mats you have and the prettied up plywood? they both cover the carpet. good luck.

athomenow 10-19-2011 07:09 AM

I have the same problem with the mats, I get mine from Sams. They crack and end up being useless in about a yr. I think because they're going over carpet and the give is causing them to crack. I can't replace the carpet but the plywood sounds like a plan.

Sadiemae 10-19-2011 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by athomenow
I have the same problem with the mats, I get mine from Sams. They crack and end up being useless in about a yr. I think because they're going over carpet and the give is causing them to crack. I can't replace the carpet but the plywood sounds like a plan.

I would probably roll off and hurt myself.

qbquilts 10-19-2011 07:14 AM

We use them at work. Each usually lasts several years. I've been in my office 8 years now and am only on the second (maybe third?) one. Do they have different quality mats? If so, a higher grade may last longer and be worth the money. BTW, I don't think we've ever had to replace any on an annual basis and we have about 20 people in the office. I think we replace 4 to 6 a year. If that's right, then each lasts here about 3 to 4 years.