Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: floor mats for office chairs - looking for ideas

Blog Entries
    When I'm at my sewing machine, I sit in an office chair with wheels, which makes it easier to move between my machines and the iron. Since my sewing room is carpeted, I've been purchasing those plastic floor mats at office stores. I just threw out the third one in 2 years because it cracked and broke into pieces. I'm not real happy about forking over another $40 for a new one that will probably only last a year.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good, solid floor mat? What about alternatives? I told my husband that putting down a 4x8 sheet of plywood with some self-sticking laminate tiles was an idea, but he didn't seem very happy with that idea...

Blog Entries
    My plastic mats last about 3 or 4 years and I bought mine at Costco. They were much cheaper than $40.

Blog Entries
    What about a commercial rubber mat. Do a Google search and I'd imagine you find several companies that carry them.

Blog Entries
    Poo. Sorry

Blog Entries
    I get mine at costco and actually put a new one over the old one so I have double thickness

Blog Entries
    Get rid of the carpet and put down tile - it will save money over the long run!

Blog Entries
    if replacing your carpeted floor is not an option, i think the plywood/tile idea is just fine. after all, what's the difference between the mats you have and the prettied up plywood? they both cover the carpet. good luck.

I have the same problem with the mats, I get mine from Sams. They crack and end up being useless in about a yr. I think because they're going over carpet and the give is causing them to crack. I can't replace the carpet but the plywood sounds like a plan.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by athomenow
    I have the same problem with the mats, I get mine from Sams. They crack and end up being useless in about a yr. I think because they're going over carpet and the give is causing them to crack. I can't replace the carpet but the plywood sounds like a plan.
    I would probably roll off and hurt myself.

We use them at work. Each usually lasts several years. I've been in my office 8 years now and am only on the second (maybe third?) one. Do they have different quality mats? If so, a higher grade may last longer and be worth the money. BTW, I don't think we've ever had to replace any on an annual basis and we have about 20 people in the office. I think we replace 4 to 6 a year. If that's right, then each lasts here about 3 to 4 years.

Blog Entries
    I had the same problem. I took some laminate flooring, clicked a few together and laid that right on top of the carpet. Works great. I also put them in front of my long arm machine because I have a tall chair that I can use if my back goes out while I am long arm quilting. They do have a tendency to slide, but just slide them back every once in a while. Works like a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by athomenow
    If you get the right kind, they are designed to go over carpet. The kind of carpet you have matters. Some are designed for carpet only 1/4" thick while others go up to 3/4". Make sure you're matching the mat to the carpet.

Blog Entries
    The ones I've been buying are designed to go over carpet, they have the poky teeth on the bottom. Although I will admit I bought one once from IKEA that had no teeth - it was quite a bit cheaper and didn't last half as long. I haven't been able to locate any that would be considered a different grade, they all seem to be the same, made by the same company (except for that cheapo IKEA one).

I'll check out Costco's stock. If I end up buying one that will crack and break after a year or so, at least I'll end up paying less for it. I think I'll leave the plywood idea as a last resort - I also worry about rolling off of the edge and hurting myself!

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Blog Entries
    In part the problem is the carpet pile. Higher pile allows the mat to flex. The more flexing the more likely to crack.

I worked for 19 years in the office supply business. There are mats out there with warranties. Don't recall brand names off the top of my head, but I know you can get them. They will be more expensive than the ones without a warranty, but definitely worth it.

You also need to check what pile depth the mat is designed for. If you have deep pile carpet and/or thick cushioning, your mat needs longer spikes to help prevent the cracking.
    One of our customers was returning mats frequently and we determined that they had gotten a mat designed for low pile carpet (because it was less expensive) and the thick padding and deep pile carpet in their office was causing the mat to wear out more quickly than if they had gotten the one designed for the type of carpet they had.

ES Robbins is a brand available with specifications for the various thicknesses. Not sure about warranty on theirs, but they are a reputable company.

Blog Entries
    Just put carpet wheels on your chair rather than hard wood floor wheels. They work great and should solve the problem.

What's under your carpet? Is this room dedicated to your space or do you have to share it with guests?..
    If it's your room and there's wood under there, pull up the carpet, either install the vinyl squares, or manufactored flooring. We installed wood, I've been pretty happy with it

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy
    Just put carpet wheels on your chair rather than hard wood floor wheels. They work great and should solve the problem.
    Well this is an interesting idea, one that I didn't even know existed! Off to research what/where they are! Thank you!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy
    Well this is an interesting idea, one that I didn't even know existed! Off to research what/where they are! Thank you!
    Let us know what you find, I have never heard of them either!