Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sewing Chairs?? Ideas

Sewing Chairs?? Ideas

I need a new chair. It needs to be height adjustable as I am short. Koala? Horn? Heavenly Chairs? I usually but mine from Staples but thought that I would shop and compare.

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

hubby gifted me with a red one from Office depo. its adjustable and on rollers. I also have another office chair I use, and now I can't remember why I needed the second one. it is adjustable and on rollers.
    Talk about short? I am 5 ft no inches.

I have the chair from Horn. Love it! I'm considering getting another chair to use when using my 2nd machine.

I got one a few years ago and told my self I would not pay over 150 but I went shopping and "tried on" many many chairs. The one I got cost a little more than I had planned and was not anything like I had in my head. But I cannot stress enough how important it is to try them out the seat depth where the back support is cannot be judged any other way. I can sit for hours on end with NO back pain since I invested in a good chair.
    Nancy

I just purchased a new office chair a few days ago at Office Depot. I too am only 5' tall so the ability to lower the seat far enough to allow me to plant my feet firmly on the floor was important. I went to the store and tried them all ... of about 20 chairs only 3 adjusted low enough for my height.

The chair I chose is a WorkPro quantum 9000. It has mesh seat and back (which I wanted), adjustable height, adjustable arms (two ways, height and swivel in-out, they can also be removed), adjustable seat back height (for lumbar position), adjustable seat back tilt, and adjustable seat depth (closeness to seat back). The other nice thing is that when the seat back tilts, the seat does not - so even tilted all the way back my feet are still firmly planted on the floor. I really can't think of any further adjustments I would want to make to a chair than this one doesn't already have.

Assembly was easy.

Here you go ... found the link to the chair on Office Depot site.
    http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...ies-Ergonomic/
    Last edited by DogHouseMom; 12-29-2014 at 05:03 PM.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

I have one of the bungie chairs from container store and I love it. Several of my friends got them also and are happy. Just something else to try, when I first saw these my BF and I just started laughing then the sales girl came over and convinced us to try them. We both got one

After trying and rejecting three different office style chairs, (I, too, am short), I broke down and bought a Herman Miller Aeron chair with a wedge shaped pillow for additional lower back support. I'm keeping this one!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pam B View Post
    I have the chair from Horn. Love it! I'm considering getting another chair to use when using my 2nd machine.
    What price range are the Horn chairs?
    sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini

Quote Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
    I have one of the bungie chairs from container store and I love it. Several of my friends got them also and are happy. Just something else to try, when I first saw these my BF and I just started laughing then the sales girl came over and convinced us to try them. We both got one
    I have to ask - what is a bungie chair???

Quote Originally Posted by GEMRM View Post
    I have to ask - what is a bungie chair???
    http://www.containerstore.com/shop/d...uctId=10022641

i asked "the Google" and this is what they showed
    Alyce

Power Poster
    Another thing to consider is armrests. I have 2 different office chairs but I like my one without the armrest best for at my sewing table. The arm rests on the other chair bump the table that my machine is on and I can't scoot close enough.

I got mine from CVS on clearance a couple of years ago - it suits me well and the price was right !!
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

I bought a Horn or something like that from Kens Quilt. I had an office chair with arms and hated it. My friend just got the bungee chair and really likes it. It comes apart easily to take with her on retreats.

I have a Mocha/Birdseye Maple Koala chair and love it!

Blog Entries
    I use an office chair that fits me well (with a landscape tile to put the pedal up on) Sure would like to find one with bigger wheels that will allow me to easily pull forward or push back! Maybe one of those plastic chair mats would work?
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Blog Entries
    I bought an office chair from staples but I am short too, and even at its highest it was too short. I bought some giant wheels for it along with a chair pad but I don't use the pad (it makes my legs rub on the underside of my sewing desk).

My husband built a sewing cabinet for me for Christmas, so right now I'm using his office chair, which has arms. The arms get in the way so I'm also in the market for a comfortable chair on wheels, no arms. I was just going to order one from Office Depot, but from what I hear I probably should go audition a few to see what works best. I also have short legs.

Blog Entries
    A few years ago I bought a leather swivel chair from Office Depot. It came with arms, but I didn't put them on. It's so comfy!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
    I use an office chair that fits me well (with a landscape tile to put the pedal up on) Sure would like to find one with bigger wheels that will allow me to easily pull forward or push back! Maybe one of those plastic chair mats would work?

Casters make the difference. There are casters for hard floors and casters suitable for use on carpeted areas. It makes a difference in manuevering the chair.

sandy
    Sandygirl

Looking at that bungee chair...wonder if those strips of whatever stretch out and then sag. I don't shop IKEA, so I'll never know.....

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    Looking at that bungee chair...wonder if those strips of whatever stretch out and then sag. I don't shop IKEA, so I'll never know.....
    That's not from IKEA, it's from The Container Store.

I need a new chair too - I like the one I have (basic office chair, the arms flip up out of the way) but the hydraulics are going out, so I slowly get shorter as I sew, LOL.

I have problems with my back, I tend to hunch my shoulders up as I sew. I have been recommended by several people to try a saddle seat chair. Apparently since there is no back, it trains your body to hold better posture (good for your health in general) and in particular it forces you to keep your shoulders down and back to maintain balance, which is what I really NEED to learn how to do. I'm told it takes some time for your muscles to adjust but once you do it's THE most comfortable and best way to sit for long periods. I know some people here have at least tried these...

I dunno...I think I might buy one and give it a shot. They say to start off sitting in it for short periods, alternating with your normal chair, to give the muscles time to build up and adapt. I have back and hip problems that might make adjusting difficult, but assuming I did adjust it's supposed to be better for me.

As a bonus, they also take up MUCH less room than a conventional office chair, and if you're like me you need every inch of space you can get in the sewing room!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Mine is a task chair with the casters and drop down arms. Office Depot.

I have a Horn chair. Sorry, can't remember what I paid for it.

I have very short legs. When I adjust the chair to the correct height so that my arms are positioned at a 90 degree angle, my feet won't touch the floor. If I lower the chair so that my feet are flat on the floor, I have to reach up at an angle to reach my machine. This causes a lot of stress on my shoulders.

My husband built me a very nice platform that slides into my horn cabinet to rest my feet on. My foot pedal also sits on the platform.

Mine does not have arms and has has 5 good sized wheels. I also bought one for my son for Christmas one year that he uses at his computer. We both love ours. But, it does pay to try out the chair to find the one that suits you the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Another thing to consider is armrests. I have 2 different office chairs but I like my one without the armrest best for at my sewing table. The arm rests on the other chair bump the table that my machine is on and I can't scoot close enough.
    I took the left arm off mine, (a good office store chair) because my iron is just to the left of the sewing machine and the arm grazed the table when I turned.
    I think there are three things that separate the girls from the women set in machine, decent chair, and working wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    The chairs are at Container Store and I have had mine for at least 3 years and one at my mom's for as long. I am about 5'1" and not a light weight. My mom is 5' and the one at her house has been used not only by her but all of her friends. I should mention that I work at home (all day on the computer) and I use this chair for probably a minimum of 10 hrs per day, 5 days a week

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast