Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Four words that can change your life. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/four-words-can-change-your-life-t171704.html)

glassdriller 12-12-2011 05:50 PM

I've found that 'sorry, I can't. I have I have other plans. OR as I told my daughter when she wanted to borrow money, "You don't know how much I'd like to, but I can't". Felt soo good!

Sheila_H 12-12-2011 06:14 PM

I sometimes think that as women and mothers were afraid to say No at times because we're afraid of hurting someone elses feelings regardless of what it does to us. I know I'm guilty of it myself I'm always worried I'll hurt someone's feelings. If DH has a party to go to of one of our closest friends even if I'm exhausted I'll say fine we'll go if nothing else to make an appearance. I'm afraid of hurting his or their feelings by not going, although since my back surgery I'm starting to say No now because I'm the one that suffers for the next 3 days for going out when my body wasn't up to it.

CMARAS1234 12-12-2011 07:40 PM

I say "Sorry,That doesnt work for me"... cmaras

almodent 12-13-2011 05:25 AM

my former daugher in law was always asking me to do things for her she is the mom to my grand son and she has a new son with her new husband so the children came as aset when i finally told her i cant do it any more she hasnt spoken o me in 2 months i hate it when my husband is right lol thanl goodness my son has shared custody or i would probably never see the little guy thanks for listening

alwayslearning 12-13-2011 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by It'sJustMe (Post 4773710)
My girlfriend says "I'm not so sure that would work for me"...or some variation. I think it's a most charming way to turn down even the most aggressive and annoying.

Saying "I'm not so sure..." opens up a line for arguement. Just say no!

Treasureit 12-13-2011 07:47 AM

I understand needing to say no...I was raised to be a people pleaser...however, now that I am older...I find it a blessing to help others. Not the "users" out there...those who don't ask often are the ones in need. Balance is the trick for me.

missgigglewings 12-13-2011 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by It'sJustMe (Post 4773710)
My girlfriend says "I'm not so sure that would work for me"...or some variation. I think it's a most charming way to turn down even the most aggressive and annoying.

I always say "That won't work for me".....I heard it on GMA once. It works!

michelehuston 12-13-2011 03:21 PM

I will try to take some of that to heart, as I too have a hard time saying no, then get mad at myself for saying yes!!

Iraxy 12-13-2011 03:32 PM

I retired this last June but promised my supervisor that I would sub. Mainly because I really liked her and know the stress she goes through to find a sub. Well, I like being retired and finally learned to say "I don't think so" or just plain "Not this time, thank you for thinking of me." However, I will be subbing for three days this week at less than 1/3 of my salary when I was full time! What was I thinking?????

nycbgirl 12-14-2011 12:00 AM

I always say "I would love to!!!!! However I can't" Then I walk away or change the subject. I told my husband a few years ago, 'I did what everybody else wanted me to do for the first 45 years of my life, I will do what I want to do for the next 45 years.' And I've stuck to it for the most part.