Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Future Yard Sale (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/future-yard-sale-t251984.html)

buntcake49 08-16-2014 04:45 PM

Future Yard Sale

I just did a yard sale with a friend today. I put in about 10 pieces of fabric that had anywhere between 1 yard to as much as 5 yards. I did not cut anything into smaller pieces except for a few bad spots. I really don't want to have to cut the pieces according the customers wishes at the time of the sale unless I have to. None of the fabric was sold.

Question #1 What is the best way to sell fabric at a yard sale? Should I cut the fabric up into smaller pieces?
Question #2 Should I cut the fabric up into smaller pieces and, if so, what is the smallest amount I should cut?

Thanks

Tartan 08-16-2014 05:01 PM

I sell my fabric at my quilting guild's yard sale. I got rid of some bundles of unwanted dress material (3 yard pieces) for $1 each and still ended up taking some to the second hand store. The general public is not all that interested in fabric. I think the rules for selling on QB are in the rules and regulations section?

francie yuhas 08-16-2014 05:15 PM

Part of it might be that you need to advertise to get the message to quilters. Many are fabriholics and will go out of their way if they know fabric is involved.

Teddybear Lady 08-16-2014 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by francie yuhas (Post 6847638)
Part of it might be that you need to advertise to get the message to quilters. Many are fabriholics and will go out of their way if they know fabric is involved.

Yes, if you let people know that you have fabric, the fabriholics will come out of the woodwork! haha I usually buy boxes with fabric in them at yard sales for one price. I have a great time going through the box and looking at my treasures!

Treasureit 08-16-2014 06:02 PM

It also depends on what price you put on it...I often see fabric for $1 yard and sometimes a whole box for $20...sometimes it is about .50 yard...try advertizing on Craigslist if you have a lot to sell. Or for your sale.

QuiltnNan 08-16-2014 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by buntcake49 (Post 6847621)
I...
Questions #3 When will I be able to sell my fabric on the QB?

Thanks

to find the rules for selling on the QB, go to the Members Only Thrift Shop and Yard Sale forum.

Karen1956 08-17-2014 03:48 AM

I went to a yard sale recently that was an estate sale of a quilter. Her daughter had her mother's quilting friends price the fabric. They priced it at LQS prices per yard and it was VERY expensive. The sale started on Friday and when I went on Saturday, there was still a lot of fabric left. I came away with some great rulers, templates and magazines, but no fabric. It was too rich for my blood, especially for a yard sale.

When my mom, who was a quilter passed, we sold some of hers and I marked it reasonablly. It was all gone within an hour. I did the same thing when my "sister of my heart" passed with her quilting fabric and again, it sold quickly. Of course I picked out what I wanted, but there was SO much, I didn't have room to store it all and I knew it would find good homes.

bearisgray 08-17-2014 04:47 AM

I paid $2.00 a yard for fabric at a yard sale last Thursday.

The lengths varied from a nine yard piece to 1/8 yard pieces.

Her sale was advertised on craisgslist and the listing included "quilting fsbric"

She had a price list taped ro the garage door. I do not know if she was willing to cut pieces ornot.

I considered sll of the fabrics "respectable enough to be usable". I think many of them had been purchased at Walmart, but there were some with lqs brands on the selvages, also.

I bought $38 worth.

She was going to "sniff off" the yardage, but I told her I was more comfortable with her using a yardstick. (In this case, i she did have "long enough arms")

She had a helper that marked down the lengths and I refolded the nine yard piec

You did not mention how much you were asking for your fbrics.

I did make an effort to get to this one because of the ad.

I have seen very little fabric of any kind ( that is not made up into something :)) at garage/yard sales.

KalamaQuilts 08-17-2014 06:05 AM

Fabric sells best when sold per pound. Doesn't matter what we paid for it, what it's worth in the stash is next to nothing.

Stitchit123 08-17-2014 08:13 AM

Its a yard sale -take it or leave it. There is way to much work involved in one to start cutting fabric for customers.