Future Yard Sale

Old 08-16-2014, 04:45 PM

Default Future Yard Sale

I just did a yard sale with a friend today. I put in about 10 pieces of fabric that had anywhere between 1 yard to as much as 5 yards. I did not cut anything into smaller pieces except for a few bad spots. I really don't want to have to cut the pieces according the customers wishes at the time of the sale unless I have to. None of the fabric was sold.

Question #1 What is the best way to sell fabric at a yard sale? Should I cut the fabric up into smaller pieces?
Question #2 Should I cut the fabric up into smaller pieces and, if so, what is the smallest amount I should cut?

Thanks

Last edited by patricej; 08-18-2014 at 02:40 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:01 PM
Power Poster

I sell my fabric at my quilting guild's yard sale. I got rid of some bundles of unwanted dress material (3 yard pieces) for $1 each and still ended up taking some to the second hand store. The general public is not all that interested in fabric. I think the rules for selling on QB are in the rules and regulations section?
Old 08-16-2014, 05:15 PM

Part of it might be that you need to advertise to get the message to quilters. Many are fabriholics and will go out of their way if they know fabric is involved.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by francie yuhas View Post
Part of it might be that you need to advertise to get the message to quilters. Many are fabriholics and will go out of their way if they know fabric is involved.
Yes, if you let people know that you have fabric, the fabriholics will come out of the woodwork! haha I usually buy boxes with fabric in them at yard sales for one price. I have a great time going through the box and looking at my treasures!
Old 08-16-2014, 06:02 PM

It also depends on what price you put on it...I often see fabric for $1 yard and sometimes a whole box for $20...sometimes it is about .50 yard...try advertizing on Craigslist if you have a lot to sell. Or for your sale.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by buntcake49 View Post
I...
Questions #3 When will I be able to sell my fabric on the QB?

Thanks
to find the rules for selling on the QB, go to the Members Only Thrift Shop and Yard Sale forum.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:48 AM

I went to a yard sale recently that was an estate sale of a quilter. Her daughter had her mother's quilting friends price the fabric. They priced it at LQS prices per yard and it was VERY expensive. The sale started on Friday and when I went on Saturday, there was still a lot of fabric left. I came away with some great rulers, templates and magazines, but no fabric. It was too rich for my blood, especially for a yard sale.

When my mom, who was a quilter passed, we sold some of hers and I marked it reasonablly. It was all gone within an hour. I did the same thing when my "sister of my heart" passed with her quilting fabric and again, it sold quickly. Of course I picked out what I wanted, but there was SO much, I didn't have room to store it all and I knew it would find good homes.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

I paid $2.00 a yard for fabric at a yard sale last Thursday.

The lengths varied from a nine yard piece to 1/8 yard pieces.

Her sale was advertised on craisgslist and the listing included "quilting fsbric"

She had a price list taped ro the garage door. I do not know if she was willing to cut pieces ornot.

I considered sll of the fabrics "respectable enough to be usable". I think many of them had been purchased at Walmart, but there were some with lqs brands on the selvages, also.

I bought $38 worth.

She was going to "sniff off" the yardage, but I told her I was more comfortable with her using a yardstick. (In this case, i she did have "long enough arms")

She had a helper that marked down the lengths and I refolded the nine yard piec

You did not mention how much you were asking for your fbrics.

I did make an effort to get to this one because of the ad.

I have seen very little fabric of any kind ( that is not made up into something ) at garage/yard sales.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:05 AM

Fabric sells best when sold per pound. Doesn't matter what we paid for it, what it's worth in the stash is next to nothing.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:13 AM

Its a yard sale -take it or leave it. There is way to much work involved in one to start cutting fabric for customers.