Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Gas or electric dryer - what do you prefer and why (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/gas-electric-dryer-what-do-you-prefer-why-t295619.html)

Cheryl7758 03-19-2018 10:28 AM

Gas or electric dryer - what do you prefer and why

I recently purchased a house in Texas near my son. I have an option to get either a gas or electric clothes dryer - as I have always had an electric dryer, I don't know the difference - I hear gas dryers are more efficient and dry faster, though they are more expensive to purchase. What is your experience?

quiltingcandy 03-19-2018 10:57 AM

I like the gas dryer - here in So. Cal. gas is much cheaper to run. I didn't know there was a price difference to purchase since we have only had gas hook ups.

zozee 03-19-2018 11:00 AM

I've only ever had electric, so if gas is better, I don't know what I'm missing. :)

Chasing Hawk 03-19-2018 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by zozee (Post 8024711)
I've only ever had electric, so if gas is better, I don't know what I'm missing. :)

I am with Zozee on this one. I always have had an electric one or a solar wind driven one .....aka.....clothesline!

The newer front loading electric dryers are more energy friendly. Mine is it could say 41 minutes to dry a load and finish after 20 minutes when everything is dry. My front loading washer has "senses" the dirt and weight of a load and times it accordingly on how much time and water the cycle needs.

SusieQOH 03-19-2018 01:25 PM

I won't buy anything but gas. They dry faster and are more efficient. I'm not aware of them costing more than electric. I also love hanging things outside when the weather permits.

Stitchnripper 03-19-2018 01:59 PM

I have had both and prefer gas.

Rhonda K 03-19-2018 02:11 PM

I have only had electric dryers. I would love to install a gas WH, stove, and dryer so I could function better in case of power outage.

Best wishes on your move!

Stitchnripper 03-19-2018 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K (Post 8024831)
I have only had electric dryers. I would love to install a gas WH, stove, and dryer so I could function better in case of power outage.

Best wishes on your move!

if they have electric ignition they still won't work. Except for a stove - you can light the burner with a match

Irishrose2 03-19-2018 05:42 PM

Gas here. Much less expensive to operate in my area, even though they do cost a little more. The extra expense is soon offset because electricity is so much more.

Teen 03-19-2018 06:59 PM

I've only had gas so can't compare, however, when I move there is no gas unless I install propane tank. We are building the house with futures for propane but, initially, I'll be an all electric house. Not sure how well I'll do on an electric stove top....learning curve...