Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Gift for Quilter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/gift-quilter-t252655.html)

txstitcher 08-28-2014 06:43 PM

Gift for Quilter

I need a gift idea for my aunt who is a quilter. She owns everything under the sun for sewing and quilting. I'm racking my brain trying to think of something she might like. Probably in the $25 - 50 range.

I'll take any and all suggestions!! I really want a gift that I can present to her in lieu of a gift card.

Thanks so much,
Michelle

quiltingcandy 08-28-2014 06:55 PM

Depending on how old she is - I would recommend flowers or food. Unless you know her favorite thimbles and size, or scissors, even a new pin cushion it is really hard to buy for someone's hobbies. Now that I am retired and have way too much stuff, I love a beautiful bouquet of flowers. And it is nice to be taken out for lunch or dinner. A friend of mine absolutely loves gladiolas, she is 85 and for the past 20 years she only gets them if someone brings them to her. My favorite flower is the peony - they don't grow here in San Diego, so a friend of mine always gives me a bouquet for my birthday. My grandmother loved chocolate covered ginger so I sent it to her every Christmas and for her birthday. It was what she wanted. And it was kind of funny, when it would first arrive she would offer anyone there a piece. The rest went into her freezer only for her. Her husband once told me she really looked forward to it and hated to share.

lynnie 08-28-2014 07:24 PM

how about making her a nice gift of a pincushion or a needlecase. (come join the swap under swaps-september) and geive her a gift card for fabric. People always ask what i want, i tell them but they buy me a dumb gift instead.

Barb in Louisiana 08-28-2014 07:31 PM

I agree that it is hard, really hard, to buy something for a quilter, unless you know something specific she wants. I have more material than I will ever sew, more rulers and cutting boards and everything under the sun. I want my kids and anyone else who wants to give me a gift to come spend some time with me or go out to eat. I don't care for movies, but maybe she does. What are her other interests? Are you local to her? Would she love to have you come sew with her for a couple of days? Think of the memories you could make and the projects.

cathyvv 08-28-2014 09:02 PM

A day out shopping for fabric (or whatever) with you would be wonderful!

KwiltyKahy 08-28-2014 09:08 PM

Lunch and a trip to the fabric store sounds great. Or maybe an Ott Light. I love mine.

Nammie to 7 08-28-2014 09:09 PM

Take her on a shop hop in your area -- include lunch and possibly purchase an item that you see she is really considering buying for herself.

txstitcher 08-28-2014 09:10 PM

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. Yes, she lives only 20 miles away and we see her on a regular basis. She is going to housesit for us in a few weeks and I want to have a special gift for her.

Of course, I will leave with a fridge and pantry full of food/snacks and we are also giving her money for doing us such a huge favor. While she is here she can sew to her heart's delight in my sewing room. I told her I'm going to inventory my fabric before and after she leaves. haha!!

I am just trying to think of something that she would really, really like to receive. She will not reveal her wishes to anyone and the family has a hard time figuring out what to get her!

Thanks again! And please keep the suggestions coming!!

Doggramma 08-29-2014 06:18 AM

I just got a gift for my quilty friend - she has a lot of stuff. I ended up getting her a $50 Amazon gift card so she can pick out her own gift. Amazon has lots of fabric and quilting supplies.

solstice3 08-30-2014 03:10 AM

Take her out for shopping and lunch. You might end up buying her something too BUT I have learned TIME is more important than stuff!