Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Girl Scout cookies (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/girl-scout-cookies-t276583.html)

Geri B 03-10-2016 03:17 PM

Girl Scout cookies

They're back.....selling at local Walmart, or just on street corners. I haven't bought for several yrs...priced too high, cookies have shrunk and I understand that the GS only make pennies on each box....what happens to that $$$$$. My DDs were not, neither was I...So I don't quite understand the organization....almost as annoying as school kids knocking on door selling whatever......my DDs went to private school and besides tuition, yes there were fund raisers....DH and I met whatever the requirement was out of our own pocket...did not want my girls "begging".....

tessagin 03-10-2016 03:35 PM

My grandniece used to sell them. One of the group leaders wanted some of the den mothers to take certain neighborhoods and go door to door. When my niece balked at it she got a lot of flack. Her daughter said she wasn't walking any neighborhoods and quit right then and there. She was 9 and wasn't having any part of it especially when the group leader wasn't going to do it. We just gave my niece money for 5 boxes. She could keep them and do what she wanted with them.

Up North 03-10-2016 03:40 PM

They are high priced but good cookies, There are a lot of recipes to make your own. I was a Girl scout for years and love all that we did but it was back when going door to door was not a problem. I still support them but live in the country so not many come here to sell them. Love thin Mints! It does teach working with the public and how to accept rejection if they have to. Selling or fund raising of any kind has lessons for them to learn.

marge954 03-10-2016 03:51 PM

I've made it 60 years without eating a Girl Scout cookie:) However, my DH will buy a box if the girls are outside the store he works at and he eats the cookies so I guess they taste okay. I think fund raisers should go away. I would rather give a check to an organization than see kids begging people to buy cookies, wrapping paper or popcorn.

Tartan 03-10-2016 03:58 PM

I am not fond of hard cookies so I only buy them if someone I know is selling them.

LavenderBlue 03-10-2016 04:00 PM

If you have a craving in the off season, Keebler brand Grasshopper Cookies are very similar to Thin Mints. ;-)

Up North 03-10-2016 04:32 PM

How often do you give to those who do not came as you say "begging" . If we gave a few dollars to each organization such as schools fundraisers, Scouts and Little league. They would not learn how to deal with the public and how to handle the rejections they get/.

Chasing Hawk 03-10-2016 04:57 PM

I send my neice the money for a few boxes every year. Instead of sending us the cookie they go to the troops.

gramajo 03-10-2016 05:26 PM

I was a Girl Scout, as were my daughters and granddaughter. I was a leader; so were my daughters. The profits go to the troop and its council. The troops use the money for activities, service projects, camping and trips. The council supports the administration office, training for leaders and for camps. The Chicago council had to sell their camp in the past few years because of finances Both daughters and I attended it. After 60 plus years, I am still in frequent contact with a friend I made in Scouts. IMHO the world would be better off if more kids were involved in Scouting. Besides the cookies are delicious!

giquilt 03-10-2016 05:43 PM

I sold cookies as a Girl Scout and DD did also. I learned how to take orders, collect money, deliver cookies to correct person and pay for cookies. My daughter did also. As a leader I required girls to estimate cookies sold then see if they could sale that many. They usually under estimated. Our sale time started New Year's Day. We sold on that day as most Dads/men were home watching bowl games and bought more than women. Girls were not allowed to sale without adult supervision.