Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Girl Scout cookies

Girl Scout cookies

They're back.....selling at local Walmart, or just on street corners. I haven't bought for several yrs...priced too high, cookies have shrunk and I understand that the GS only make pennies on each box....what happens to that $$$$$. My DDs were not, neither was I...So I don't quite understand the organization....almost as annoying as school kids knocking on door selling whatever......my DDs went to private school and besides tuition, yes there were fund raisers....DH and I met whatever the requirement was out of our own pocket...did not want my girls "begging".....

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    My grandniece used to sell them. One of the group leaders wanted some of the den mothers to take certain neighborhoods and go door to door. When my niece balked at it she got a lot of flack. Her daughter said she wasn't walking any neighborhoods and quit right then and there. She was 9 and wasn't having any part of it especially when the group leader wasn't going to do it. We just gave my niece money for 5 boxes. She could keep them and do what she wanted with them.

They are high priced but good cookies, There are a lot of recipes to make your own. I was a Girl scout for years and love all that we did but it was back when going door to door was not a problem. I still support them but live in the country so not many come here to sell them. Love thin Mints! It does teach working with the public and how to accept rejection if they have to. Selling or fund raising of any kind has lessons for them to learn.
    Last edited by Up North; 03-10-2016 at 03:42 PM.

I've made it 60 years without eating a Girl Scout cookie However, my DH will buy a box if the girls are outside the store he works at and he eats the cookies so I guess they taste okay. I think fund raisers should go away. I would rather give a check to an organization than see kids begging people to buy cookies, wrapping paper or popcorn.

Power Poster
    I am not fond of hard cookies so I only buy them if someone I know is selling them.

If you have a craving in the off season, Keebler brand Grasshopper Cookies are very similar to Thin Mints. ;-)

How often do you give to those who do not came as you say "begging" . If we gave a few dollars to each organization such as schools fundraisers, Scouts and Little league. They would not learn how to deal with the public and how to handle the rejections they get/.

I send my neice the money for a few boxes every year. Instead of sending us the cookie they go to the troops.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

I was a Girl Scout, as were my daughters and granddaughter. I was a leader; so were my daughters. The profits go to the troop and its council. The troops use the money for activities, service projects, camping and trips. The council supports the administration office, training for leaders and for camps. The Chicago council had to sell their camp in the past few years because of finances Both daughters and I attended it. After 60 plus years, I am still in frequent contact with a friend I made in Scouts. IMHO the world would be better off if more kids were involved in Scouting. Besides the cookies are delicious!

Blog Entries
    I sold cookies as a Girl Scout and DD did also. I learned how to take orders, collect money, deliver cookies to correct person and pay for cookies. My daughter did also. As a leader I required girls to estimate cookies sold then see if they could sale that many. They usually under estimated. Our sale time started New Year's Day. We sold on that day as most Dads/men were home watching bowl games and bought more than women. Girls were not allowed to sale without adult supervision.
    I am following my retirement plan, I Quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
    I was a Girl Scout, as were my daughters and granddaughter. I was a leader; so were my daughters. The profits go to the troop and its council. The troops use the money for activities, service projects, camping and trips. The council supports the administration office, training for leaders and for camps. The Chicago council had to sell their camp in the past few years because of finances Both daughters and I attended it. After 60 plus years, I am still in frequent contact with a friend I made in Scouts. IMHO the world would be better off if more kids were involved in Scouting. Besides the cookies are delicious!
    Yea for you! my mom was a leader I had all boys so decided to teach 4H but all are wonderful organizations and kids learn so much! I appreciate all I learned as a girl Scout!

I was a Scout too. I got to visit other states and even India because of Girl Scouts. I went to and later worked at GS camps. I truly believe I was a better teacher because of my experiences in GS. I buy some cookies every year to support other young women.

In the beautiful hills of northwest Connecticut.
    I was a GS leader -- twice. The first time was before I was married, when a troop of juniors needed a leader & no one wanted to take them on -- & I lived a few towns away from that troop. It was a fun learning experience for me. Then, when my oldest daughter was old enough to join a troop, I became a leader again. A percentage of the proceeds from the cookie sale go to the troop for activities. I took 15 six-year-olds on a weekend camping trip, along with my 4-year-old, that first year. It was a great experience for all of us. My younger daughter (the then-4-year-old) stayed with GS through high school. I like to think that all the girls had a good experience & passed along their knowledge to others. And, every year when the GS sell those expensive cookies, I buy 3 boxes of Thin Mints -- one for hubby & one for each daughter. It's my small contribution to someone else's wonderful GS experience.
    ​My soul is fed with needle & thread.

Blog Entries
    When I sold them, they were $.50 a box and we went door-to-door (it was safer in those days). They just are not as good as they were.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LavenderBlue View Post
    If you have a craving in the off season, Keebler brand Grasshopper Cookies are very similar to Thin Mints. ;-)
    Did you know they use two different bakeries and each has different recipes? I saw a YouTube about it.

My wife and I were Girl Scout leaders for several years when our daughter belonged to that wonderful organization. The troop was large, and I was an adult who would take on the responsibility. I fondly remember having our house crammed full of cases and boxes of cookies when we were the cookie chairs. We still buy cookies, and our daughter usually gets more than we do because of the scouts at her school and church. Yes, they are expensive, but the small profits allow some girls experiences and activities which are wholesome and educational and most often outside their normal life experiences. [I think this year we purchased a dozen boxes at various sale sites!]
    Sometimes I try to act "normal," but it gets boring so I just go back to being myself.

I used to buy the cookies when my girls and granddaughters sold them. The Girl Scouts make a lot of money this way. Did you know you can even order them online now? I really dislike school fund raisers. My granddaughter was selling cookie dough for her soccer team recently. The team would get half of what they sold. I simply gave a donation for what I would have spent on something I did not want, and the team got the whole amount. Several years ago a school in our area, rather than selling candy or cookie dough or wrapping paper, spent several evenings calling people and asking for donations. They raised more money than they would have made selling something.

I'm not sure what happened but our GS cookies went from $7 a box last year to $4 a box this year - not that I am complaining. In our area, GS's must be accompanied by an adult at all times so they are reasonably safe. I look at kids "Fundraisers" as an investment in our future. The GS are learning a lot about working for goals, speaking with other people, and other activities that aid their development. I would rather see the kids participating in an organized activity that helps their development rather than seeing them bored, playing on street corners or getting into trouble. I know it pays off in the long run - we had some kids tipping over garbage cans after graduation last year and we were one of a few houses that wasn't hit. When they finally caught up with the culprits, they admitted they didn't tip the cans at houses that gave good Halloween candy or bought stuff from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Up North View Post
    How often do you give to those who do not came as you say "begging" . If we gave a few dollars to each organization such as schools fundraisers, Scouts and Little league. They would not learn how to deal with the public and how to handle the rejections they get/.
    Im sorry but if this teaches how to deal with the public and accept rejection.....then those of us who were not "scouts" have been overlooked and need to learn those lessons now. I don't think so! I see a lot of young folks, who be they past scouts or not, don't know how to do either of those things...(rudeness, bad behavior, violence)..those lessons can and are learned in other ways....home, sports, school...but some things just don't "get learned" no matter what to, some people....

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Stitchin View Post
    I'm not sure what happened but our GS cookies went from $7 a box last year to $4 a box this year - not that I am complaining. In our area, GS's must be accompanied by an adult at all times so they are reasonably safe. I look at kids "Fundraisers" as an investment in our future. The GS are learning a lot about working for goals, speaking with other people, and other activities that aid their development. I would rather see the kids participating in an organized activity that helps their development rather than seeing them bored, playing on street corners or getting into trouble. I know it pays off in the long run - we had some kids tipping over garbage cans after graduation last year and we were one of a few houses that wasn't hit. When they finally caught up with the culprits, they admitted they didn't tip the cans at houses that gave good Halloween candy or bought stuff from them.
    ...so exactly what lesson was taught to these hooligans.......wow!

From my most recent experiences the selling of GS cookies have come to be the parents chore, send out a mass email, take the orders and do the delivery. I don't think the cookies are as good, boxes are smaller and more expensive, I can buy better and cheaper cookies from Wal Mart. While I may not be supporting a cause, I don't think the cookies are all that good anymore. We have bought for the troops.
    I was GS and was from the era of carrying the boxes door to door through snow and cold. I dreaded cookie time.

I would buy a couple of boxes from one of my neighbors but I hate to see them in front of a store. I just smile and tell them I am on a diet. Being overweight has one advantage!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    I ONLY buy them from my bosses daughters (he has 4 girls in GS).

But I don't buy them from anyone else, in front of the stores I just
    tell them that I can't have them, and usually give them a few dollars
    anyway.
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

We bought cookies from a young lady in our neighborhood for years. I was so glad to see her graduate and go off to college. I'd buy the cookies and give them away. In our county there is a new regulation, a solicitors permit is needed to go door to door, so we haven't seen anyone this year selling anything on our door step. Our local Wal-Mart received a lot of complaints about the aggressive sales pitch from GS and other groups they no longer allow them outside the store or in the parking lot. I like that I'm not approached when I enter or leave the store. HALLOWEEN Candy, yes we buy and give out the good stuff.....it's call "protection".

Blog Entries
    Training?????? What training????? Once you said you were willing to have a group you were ON YOUR OWN !!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast