Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Going to Australia (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/going-australia-t26865.html)

tlrnhi 10-10-2009 11:17 PM

Ok ladies and gents.....it's that time of year again....time for me to take a great and wonderful trip!
I'm headed to Brisbane and then on to Sydney, Australia. Will be a fabulous 2 week holiday!

Why am I telling you all this? Well, last year when I did my Hong Kong trip, I put out to the board for anyone wanting postcards. I'm doing it again this year. If you think I already have your addy, just PM me letting me know you would like one...you'd probably get one anyway. lol
For those of you who KNOW I don't have your addy, just PM it to me.
If you would like, I can send a card on to your little ones. We all know how kids LOVE to get mail and a pretty postcard with Sydney Opera House or Koala or Kangaroo on it just might be the thing they would like to receive.

Before anyone asks....NO, I probably won't be visiting any fabric shops. They are wanting $25/metre for fabric there and I don't want to visit one and then be sad and not buy anything because of the price, but, then again, you never know!

We leave on the 18th and will be back on the 31st.

gaigai 10-10-2009 11:30 PM

Terri, have a wonderful trip!!!

woody 10-11-2009 01:16 AM

Have a great time and I hope the weather will be kind to you.

tlrnhi 10-11-2009 01:41 AM

Thanks Gai and Woody.
BTW Woody, when I was in the Canberra area visiting, I remember seeing those bright colored birds in my friends yard. I couldn't get over how beautiful they were.

woody 10-11-2009 02:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Keep you eyes open for the rainbow lorikeets in Queensland and near the coast in NSW, They are even brighter and more colourful.

Rainbow Lorikeet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]52333[/ATTACH]

tlrnhi 10-11-2009 02:51 AM

I think they are just beautiful!
I'll have my camera ready for them!
We don't have birds here on Guam.
Well, we have some doves and some brown sparrows. Oh yea, and some of the white egrets too, but that's about it. Nothing else.
I miss my pretty birds that used to grace my bird feeders!

barnbum 10-11-2009 04:24 AM

Oh my gosh, what a beautiful bird!!

Terri--I can not WAIT to see photos of this trip. I'll even show them to my students (you usually take rated G ones. :lol: ).

Terri already offered to send each of my students a postcard--how sweet is that?

AND they received a box from her with Japan and Guam treats in it last week!! I'm thinking these kids are glad they got stuck in my room! :wink:

Back to your trip--I remember someone from the horse forum telling about the terrible fires that were there last year--and the drought. Are things better with that? Has tourism been effected? Woody--maybe you'd know more?

NorBanaquilts 10-11-2009 04:33 AM

Have a great trip!

Knot Sew 10-11-2009 04:46 AM

my first thought is Kangroo....do the boys have pouchs and how much stuff will fit....they could replace the post office.

think what you could do if you traded your round tummy for a pouch. You could visit friends and snitch stach he he he ....or carry keys or snacks

Any way I'm green again...visit the opera and a bilabong and Alice Springs :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Maride 10-11-2009 04:47 AM

Terri, I am very happy for you. My son was in Brisbane and Sydney in the summer of 2008. He was 14 at the time and went with a group called People to People. It was the first time he went anywhere without us. He also went to New Zealand and his favorite part was meeting the Maoris.

Make sure you have your picture taken with a Koala. We treasure his picture. I know there are probably tons of places to do that.

You may not want to go to a shop because of their prices, but they have a completely different concept when it comes to art quilts. I have seen many in the Down Under Quilts magazine, and would love to see some of those in person. They are incredible.

Have a great time.

Maria