Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   GOING GREEN HINT, LOVE IT (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/going-green-hint-love-t21042.html)

LindaR 06-07-2009 08:49 AM

If you have one of those floor dusters that you buy pads for try using left over batting pieces. I had some of the warm and natural and was out of pads and sure enough that dust just clung to that stuff. Cut then the size you need and clip on just like a boughten pad. I have probably a life time supply of pieces LOL

Tink's Mom 06-07-2009 09:47 AM

:wink: :wink: :wink: Cool! I wonder if the part poly batting will work too? This is a great idea... I was just going to do my hardwood floors. Going to test it....

amma 06-07-2009 10:19 AM

You can use old terry towels, just about any fabric that is soft and has a little bit of nap to it. The thinner fabrics we doubled/tripled up. I zigzagged the edges (or you coulc serge them) of some old towels, throw them in the laundry, they wash up great! :D

Ninnie 06-07-2009 10:59 AM

That is a great tip!

Wanda_GA 06-07-2009 11:15 AM

Another hint on left over batting is to wrap your Christmas balls or fragil
ornaments with it. I can't take the credit for that as I read it in one of my quilting magazines.

When I read all those hints I think "why didn't I think of that"! Just like your hint Linda...that's a great one to remember too! Thanks, Wanda

Mplsgirl 06-07-2009 11:16 AM

Good idea!

butterflywing 06-07-2009 11:17 AM

on the swiffer thingies, my daughter has always used old cotton undies on the theory that she doesn't clean in front of strangers. works for cat hair in her house. LOL!

sewsewquilter 06-07-2009 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
on the swiffer thingies, my daughter has always used old cotton undies on the theory that she doesn't clean in front of strangers. works for cat hair in her house. LOL!

Too funny. :lol:

ksusan 06-07-2009 05:35 PM

I've purchased those microfiber cloths which are available through Family Dollar Stores.

The package of two cloths for a buck are great for cleaning and dusting. I even use them as the "swifter" type pad.

The package of five hand towels size cloths for five bucks was useful in creating lightweight, toweling which wicked up water quickly when I was bathing our dog. Four towels sewn together with a zigzag stitch form a nice rectangle that covers the dog nicely. Two large rectangular towels do the work of the four heavy cotton towels I had dedicated to the project previously.

Now, Jones recognizes his bath towels when I am doing laundry. He loves to be bathed and brushed, part of the great care given to him by the shih tzu breeder. I towel dry the "baby" as much as he will let me and then it's time for him to "air dry" by racing around the house :D

sewhappy57 06-07-2009 05:40 PM

Wow Linda what a GREAT idea. I'm so all over that, I too have a life time supply. LOL