Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Going to have total knee replacement (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/going-have-total-knee-replacement-t73334.html)

dar627742 10-31-2010 09:03 AM

did not have knee replacement,but did have to have left[thank heavens !@]shoulder & bone from shoulder to elbow replaced[can't remember name of bone ] due to a bad fall.it took from early jan. thru the summer of rehab,but was well worth the pain. i have full use of arm & shoulder,no pain at all.i always joke & saythe only joint in my body that doesn't hurt is the fake one!they did say that the shoulder is the worse to have replaced because of the wide range of motion,so don't panic about the length of recovery time,my mom was in her late 70's when she had her knee done ,& was back shopping in no time! justbe SURE to do the follow up !!!!!!!!!!!
good luck & prayers .....dar

jbud2 10-31-2010 09:12 AM

Several ladies in my water aerobics class have had their knees done. The Rehab is the most important thing to do. And several of them said their doctors told them that exercising in the water is the best thing for them. I know I will need it one day in my future and having seen these ladies work it out, I am not afraid at all! Good luck!
(One lady had both knees done at one time - she said it was the best way to have it done.)

shortstuff 10-31-2010 11:21 AM

Thanks for the thoughts, and suggestions,and help,to all

purplefiend 10-31-2010 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by PurplePassion
Go to any of the information classes that they have. Ask questions. That surgery has come a long way in the past 8 years. Do your PT!! If you can get a stationery bike , use it . It will help alot. I had the surgery in April and can walk so much better. Just need to loose the weight I am gaining , because I love to cook . You will do fine. A week after my surgery , I was back to sewing . Do your PT. Elaine

My Aunt said to make sure that you do the PT before and after surgery. Its a huge help.

Gina_D 10-31-2010 11:38 AM

Everyone has given such good advice! You should do well with all this.

grams5 10-31-2010 02:32 PM

I have had both replaced , one at a time, last one 4 months ago, used a ice water machine it really helps with the pain. I did not use pain meds but 1 week. I was driveing in 2 weeks the first time but waited 3 weeks with the last one only because it was my right leg. The first week and half is the hardest after that it gets better.

mamaw 10-31-2010 03:25 PM

I had one in Dec 2008 and it was the best thing I could have done. The first few months is no picnic; and it is very important to do your therapy. The end result for me is fantastic!!! Hope you have the same success I did. I can honestly say I am now pain-free there. People tell you that you cannot kneel afterwards...that is not true, it just feels different and something you have to adjust to if there are any situations where you wish to kneel. I have to when making my camper bed because the backside of it is against the wall.
My recumbent bike was a great asset in my recovery also.

dutchie 10-31-2010 03:45 PM

Good luck with your surgery! My mom had both knees replaced years ago and it made a world of difference in her mobility and pain level.

Remember to swallow your pride and ask for help when you need it (like picking up your child from school!)

auntmag 10-31-2010 04:44 PM

Just do what the doctors and physical therapist tell you and you should do well. The procedure has improved greatly in the past few years and has a much shorter recovery time. Good luck.