Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Going to have total knee replacement (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/going-have-total-knee-replacement-t73334.html)

shortstuff 10-30-2010 07:40 PM

Going to have total knee replacement any advice would be helpful

Sadiemae 10-30-2010 07:42 PM

I have a friend that has had both of her knees replaced. She did really well, just follow the doctors directions. Good luck and hope you heal quickly.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 10-30-2010 07:44 PM

My aunt had both done at one time. Her big advice to everyone is do the rehab! And don't be ashamed to ask for help. It takes a bit to be back to normal but it was very worth it for her.

PurplePassion 10-30-2010 07:47 PM

Go to any of the information classes that they have. Ask questions. That surgery has come a long way in the past 8 years. Do your PT!! If you can get a stationery bike , use it . It will help alot. I had the surgery in April and can walk so much better. Just need to loose the weight I am gaining , because I love to cook . You will do fine. A week after my surgery , I was back to sewing . Do your PT. Elaine

seymoore 10-30-2010 07:47 PM

My brother has had both his knees done and they went well. Main thing is to follow the doctor's orders and don't overdo it once you're up moving around at home.

Teacup 10-30-2010 07:52 PM

If at all possible, pick a hospital and physician that do a lot of that type of surgery and have a good track record. Ask your doctor or look online for hospital ratings. A good rehab department is important as well. Do everything they tell you. They'll probably have you up soon after surgery to start moving around. The activity is good for you. Do your exercises, take all the precautions they tell you to take, and you'll be up and going soon.

jlong 10-30-2010 07:53 PM

My husband had one knee done two summers ago and I'll never forget what he said as he was taking his first steps, "The pain is gone." Now obviously he had pain but it was a pain that would improve his life instead of the constant pain that he had experienced. He is very happy that he did it.

cherylynne 10-30-2010 07:54 PM

Yes, the PT is very important. I think that I would come home instead of rehab the next time because I just like being home and I do have someone to help me. I had one knee done and only took meds for about five days. Needed it for PT, though. Pain meds were messing with my digestive system and I felt better without them. Didn't get the shower chair and high toilet seat that they wanted me to take home. I didn't need it. Use the ugly walker or cane for stability and you will do fine.

Magdalena 10-30-2010 10:39 PM

Do your exercises. I will include you in my prayers - Godspeed.

shortstuff 10-31-2010 06:08 AM

Thanks for all the advice .I will be having it done in a week then the other in about a month.Hope to get back on my feet by Christmas.Thank you for the prayers and thoughts. I have a child to take care of and get off to school every day so will be getting up on it quiet often.How long will it take to start drivin again?