Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Good Vacation Spots (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/good-vacation-spots-t246664.html)

sval 05-12-2014 04:33 AM

Good Vacation Spots

My DH and I are looking for good vacation spots. We either want to escape the heat and humidity in the summer(preferably late enough that all the kiddies are back in school) or the cold of winter(probably in Feb).
We live in NC. So in the summer that would mean going north. AK is a great trip. We've done the cruise portion once and loved it. If we go again we would do the cruisetour. But before we go someplace over we thought perhaps there was another destination.
Going away in winter means going south. Whether that be FL, the Caribbean, or Mexico.
Does anyone have any advice or thoughts on the matter?
We're rather private people and don't like huge crowds.

quilter1 05-12-2014 04:50 AM

If you are brave enough to cross the border, Ontario in the fall is spectacular. Late September to late October is my favourite time of year. Toronto is a wonderful and multicultural city (in spite of the mayor), and there are so many things to do. Head to the Niagara area to wine tours, then to the Kitchener area (where I now live, after moving from Toronto last year) for Octoberfest. Check it out online- so much- theaters, restaurants, shopping, and the US dollar is in your favor now.

sval 05-12-2014 05:41 AM

Thanks quilter1. It sounds lovely. But the fall is gorgeous here in NC as well. We like to get away during the extreme temperature months like August or February.

quilter1 05-12-2014 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by sval (Post 6713445)
Thanks quilter1. It sounds lovely. But the fall is gorgeous here in NC as well. We like to get away during the extreme temperature months like August or February.

If you want a getaway then, don't come up here. August can be brutally hot and humid and February is the coldest month. Spring and Fall are lovely.

Sandygirl 05-12-2014 10:00 AM

The Northwoods. Wisconsin. August: Highs in the early 70's in July. Bayfield is bee u tee ful!!

Sandy

Billi 05-12-2014 01:46 PM

Costa rica in the winter months, we spent 5weeks there this winter and loved every minute of it.

Ahof 05-12-2014 01:56 PM

I like to go to ft Myers beach or to Venus ,Fl.... Both are very nice places

M.Elizabeth 05-12-2014 02:23 PM

My husband and I toured the Scandinavian countries a few years ago in June. Cool at that time, but unbelievably beautiful, especially the fjords. I imagine August would be a good time, as well, if you want to travel out of the country.

ube quilting 05-12-2014 02:44 PM

If you want to go North in summer try this

http://www.mackinacisland.org/

I saw an old travel log on Turner Classic Movies about this place and I looked it up because it was so cool and I think it hasn't changed in many years.

The Grand Hotel has the longest veranda in the world. Take a look. I haven't been there yet but boy do I want to go.

Where ever you go, have a great time.
peace

Cybrarian 05-12-2014 07:38 PM

I grew up in Michigan and I concur with ube quilting. Mackinaw Island is beautiful and unique (no cars!) or at least it used to be. Traverse City is gorgeous and the Cherry Festival in July is great! The Great Lakes and other areas close by make it a wonderful summer getaway. Now for winter ya'll come and see us in February. The Gulf Coast of Florida has the best fine sugar sand beaches anywhere! Whatever you want to do you'll find here. Clearwater, St. Petersburg and Tampa form a triangle of wonderful sights and sounds. You can be as active or laid back as you want to be. Are you all baseball fans? Plenty of teams are in spring training here in February including the Tampa Bay Rays, Yankees, Phillies, Tigers and several more. Winter the Dolphin of Winter's Tale 1 & 2 fame resides in Clearwater where they are currently building a new Aquarium and Rescue facility, Dali and other art museums, theater, Great and varied dining shopping AND some awesome quilt shops! So come on down!