Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Grandparents raising grandchildren (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/grandparents-raising-grandchildren-t58659.html)

Janetlmt 08-10-2010 05:01 AM

My mother had her second family when she was 36 (my younger brother and I). She had older children at the time that were 16 and 18. My brother and I were raised differently then the first two. My mother resented us and constantly told us that. I can see where a child raised by either older parents or grandparents would have a different home life. I went through high school..an old soul. It is a scary thought to imagine having to take over raising my granddaughter. I am 53..and education is different, thoughts and ideas are different. I love her dearly and would do what I had to do. It takes great courage to take that on. Blessings to all of you who are doing it.
Peace and Blessings

LeeAnn 08-10-2010 02:25 PM

That would be tough! I guess you just do what you have to do. My grandkids, 12, 11, 7 & 5 live next door. It's bitter sweet sometimes. Mostly sweet though.

osmom 08-10-2010 03:03 PM

My "mom and dad" took me straight from the hospital. Mom was 52 at the time. Their daughter could not take care of me as she went threw a nervous breakdown when her soon to be husband sold everything and drained the bank accounts and left her while she was pregnant with me and at work. She was in love with him and he basically said he did not care for her by his actions. I feel bad for her but I do not think that going loco because of a man is right! Anywho.....
I really do not know how mom did it. I miss her as I lost her a few years ago at christmas time- she had dementia and back problems (I am currently 35 with 3 children). She will always be my mom even though she was grandma. I miss her terribly. She raised 6 kids and 1 grandchild (for which I am grateful). I wish I had a quarter of the energy she did at 52.
I love my parents dearly (grandma and grandpa) they taught me to speak Polish and have nurtured and raised me right. My dad is going down hill now too and I feel absolutely lost that he is not going to be around forever- he is 87. That is the only thing that stinks- I did not have as much time with my mom as my other siblings did (btw my oldest "sister" (remember they had 6 kids before I came along) could have been my mother :)
Another thing is I did not find out they were not my parents but grandparents until I was a teenager.

Ditter43 08-10-2010 03:34 PM

I think it would be easier if you had them from the beginning. ;)

Gramof6 08-10-2010 04:54 PM

I would do it if I had to, but I sure hope that won't ever be the case. LOL The little stinkers just wear me out, even though I do enjoy having them for a night or two! I love them all, so much. I had my 4 at a young age & now I am glad that I did. My energy is nothing now compared to what it used to be. I commend all grandparents that are raising their grands.

magpiefeather 08-10-2010 05:58 PM

My friend is raising 2 small girl granddaughters and has health problems...what will happen to them...girls are 5 and 8 and he is 62. I would step in if something happened but I am 61 and in a bit better health, but still old for raising 2 children. I pray for them. They have never known another parent but him.

Jingle 08-10-2010 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by osmom
My "mom and dad" took me straight from the hospital. Mom was 52 at the time. Their daughter could not take care of me as she went threw a nervous breakdown when her soon to be husband sold everything and drained the bank accounts and left her while she was pregnant with me and at work. She was in love with him and he basically said he did not care for her by his actions. I feel bad for her but I do not think that going loco because of a man is right! Anywho.....
I really do not know how mom did it. I miss her as I lost her a few years ago at christmas time- she had dementia and back problems (I am currently 35 with 3 children). She will always be my mom even though she was grandma. I miss her terribly. She raised 6 kids and 1 grandchild (for which I am grateful). I wish I had a quarter of the energy she did at 52.
I love my parents dearly (grandma and grandpa) they taught me to speak Polish and have nurtured and raised me right. My dad is going down hill now too and I feel absolutely lost that he is not going to be around forever- he is 87. That is the only thing that stinks- I did not have as much time with my mom as my other siblings did (btw my oldest "sister" (remember they had 6 kids before I came along) could have been my mother :)
Another thing is I did not find out they were not my parents but grandparents until I was a teenager.

You were so lucky and what a wonderful thing they did for you.

Jingle 08-10-2010 07:18 PM

My Grands are 23 - 8 yr.s old, there won't be anymore, I wish there would be. I played a large part in the 23 yr.old's life, taught her a lot, she lives with us the last 5 yr.s, She is a very responsible, hard working young woman, no thanks to her Mom,Dad,Step Mom and Step Dad.
I thank goodness and good genes from from other people.

Bless all you Grandparents raising your Grands, there is no better job you could have.

Aunt Retta 08-10-2010 10:57 PM

I wish I was in a position that I could raise my grandchildren! In fact I wish I could adopt again and raise a child in need of a home. I would look for a child between 5 years and 10 years old. But my health problems have me disabled, and I am way too sick too much of the time.

Yes, it is very hard, so hard you cannot even understand it at the beginning to raise children. It is also a great opportunity, too great to understand as you start out. to be important in the life of a child.

I have two adopted daughters. I am more than grateful to be a part of their lives.

twinstitchin 08-10-2010 11:15 PM

I have my beautiful GD with me 5 days a week and it the most blessed thing in my life. She is 7 going on 25 and really keeps me on my toes. When she needs something made at the sewing machine it has to be exactly what she wants or it has to be redone. We are now working on her a crazy quilt and she had to pick out all the fabric. She sleeps with me,she has her quilt to snuggle with and I have mine. It does my heart good when she rolls out of bed with her favorite quilt to watch cartoons in the morning and back to her bed at nite to sleep under. The bad thing is I did not make her favorite quilt!