Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Grandparents raising grandchildren

Sweet Home, Oregon and now Independence, MO
    To any of you out there who are raising your grandchildren, I just want you to know I admire you, greatly!!!!! I am 47 years old and recently kept a friend's grandchildren she is raising for the night. I was so exhausted when they left! I seriously do not know how a person does this!

Well, there are days we don't know how we do it either....ask me, been there, still doing it.

I am 47 also and have a 7 year old son. Some days I am not sure I will make it. Luckily I have two older kids who help keep him busy.

Super Member I go To The Sea To Breathe's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    i am 65 raising 4, and today I took the 13 yr old boy tubing down the creek. I didn't tube, but let him off and then drove a ways down the street and waited for him to drift by. but was very nervous about letting him do it . he is a good swimmer, but you know how it is, he only did it once then found some kids to play with and I was able to sit and look at quilting magazines. You just do things a little different when you get older and raise kids.

I know a lady whose friend recently had her first baby. She is 55 and hubby is 63. Now that takes guts...

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by KarenSimon
    I know a lady whose friend recently had her first baby. She is 55 and hubby is 63. Now that takes guts...
    Nice to know that they still had/have functioning "equipment" :?

I don't know how the grandparents do it either. I have some friends who are raising their grandkids and I just try to help them out and yes, I'm tired too when they go home but I just think how tired they are some days and anyway I can help I do.

I went to visit a friend today that has a 5 mo old and a 4 year old. I have a 4.5 year old and a 3 year old. I KNOW I'm done having kids, because I about wanted to climb the walls with the little gal, and I'm only 35!!!

My best friend who is only a couple years older than me (but got a much earlier start on a family) keeps her GGD while GD (who she raised) works, and is planning on homeschooling her this fall. My grandson is 6 months older than her GGD and I'm exhausted any time I keep him and no way in this world would I attempt homeschooling him...he has the attention span of a gnat!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deb watkins
    Well, there are days we don't know how we do it either....ask me, been there, still doing it.
    But somehow we do survive. I think it keeps us young.

Sweet Home, Oregon and now Independence, MO
    I too feel that I should try to help them out whenever possible. We are empty nesters and are loving it. But when we have watched these 2 little ones, I remember how glad I am that I am finished raising children. They are a joy, but chasing a 2 year old and a 1 year old is a tough job! Praises to all who do!

I nanny for two of my daughters,one has a 6 yr. old son(they live with us) and one has a 5 yr. old daughter.It is so much more fun to be a grand parent.Spoil them rotton and send them with thier Moms.I love to do crafty things with them.They make the world go round!!(I know why I had mine when I was young!!!

My brother and his wife have guardianship of their grandson. They have had him since he was 6 weeks old, he just turned 10, my brother is 62, my SIL is 60. Wears me out just thinking about it.

bkb
    There is nothing to it. I was 48 when DGS came to us. Would not want him to be anywhere else. The day may come that his Mom will be able to have him again, and that will probably kill me.

i would do it if i had to.....but, it would be hard...and alot of getting used to.....lol

Blog Entries
    My hat is off to all of you who are taking on such a challenge. I have one granddaughter who is 22 months old. I keep her one evening a week and she spends the night. My daughter picks her up the next morning. I love her dearly, she is the light of life to us. I am so exhausted when she goes home. But..what the kicker is..she is so calm when it is just my husband, me and Chloe. Once mom and dad walk in the house...there is total chaos. Chloe turns into a different child.
    Best wishes to all of you how have taken rearing young children.
    Peace and Blessings

I don't really know if you can say that I'm raising my grandchild, but my daughter and nine month old grandson are living at home. Yesterday was her first day of college. And she gets free daycare while she's there. That's a HUGE break for me and grandpa! Most of the time when they are here she doesn't really pay much attention to him so that leaves it up to us to interact with him. No pats on the back to us, but I feel if it wasn't for me and grandpa (which the baby calls "da-da") I don't think the baby would have survived a month. I'm looking forward to her finishing school and then moving out. I will miss the baby terribly though! But to anyone else out there who are raising them on their own, my hats off to you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KarenSimon
    That's not guts... that is insanity.
    I taught school for 30 years/ Kindergarten for 18 and I can tell you that in my experiences an only child raised by older people don't fit in. Usually the parents are too over-protective, don't understand children, have unrealistic expectations for them (and dress them weird!)

My cousin's son was a miracle baby when he was born when she was 48 and he was 50. Now 18 he is dealing with trying to leave home to go to school and cope with his father's recent strokes and Mom's insecurities and needs. Just not fair!

I admire grandparents who have stepped up and taken responsibility. But the thing is this: when a child has a grandparent caring for them they know it is a grandparent and cope quite well with it. When their parents are the age of grandparents they know that they are different and that's a problem!

Thanks, we've got 1 more year to go. LOL

karenSimon-I personally think they're nuts. LOL No way would I even think about that. There's just too much of a generation gap-my mom had me when she was 38, my younger sister at 42. A generation gap that couldn't be closed. It's also not fair to the child, that their mother is grandparents or maybe great grandparents compared to their classmates parents.

Blog Entries
    My mother had her second family when she was 36 (my younger brother and I). She had older children at the time that were 16 and 18. My brother and I were raised differently then the first two. My mother resented us and constantly told us that. I can see where a child raised by either older parents or grandparents would have a different home life. I went through high school..an old soul. It is a scary thought to imagine having to take over raising my granddaughter. I am 53..and education is different, thoughts and ideas are different. I love her dearly and would do what I had to do. It takes great courage to take that on. Blessings to all of you who are doing it.
    Peace and Blessings

That would be tough! I guess you just do what you have to do. My grandkids, 12, 11, 7 & 5 live next door. It's bitter sweet sometimes. Mostly sweet though.

My "mom and dad" took me straight from the hospital. Mom was 52 at the time. Their daughter could not take care of me as she went threw a nervous breakdown when her soon to be husband sold everything and drained the bank accounts and left her while she was pregnant with me and at work. She was in love with him and he basically said he did not care for her by his actions. I feel bad for her but I do not think that going loco because of a man is right! Anywho.....
    I really do not know how mom did it. I miss her as I lost her a few years ago at christmas time- she had dementia and back problems (I am currently 35 with 3 children). She will always be my mom even though she was grandma. I miss her terribly. She raised 6 kids and 1 grandchild (for which I am grateful). I wish I had a quarter of the energy she did at 52.
    I love my parents dearly (grandma and grandpa) they taught me to speak Polish and have nurtured and raised me right. My dad is going down hill now too and I feel absolutely lost that he is not going to be around forever- he is 87. That is the only thing that stinks- I did not have as much time with my mom as my other siblings did (btw my oldest "sister" (remember they had 6 kids before I came along) could have been my mother :)
    Another thing is I did not find out they were not my parents but grandparents until I was a teenager.

I think it would be easier if you had them from the beginning. ;)

I would do it if I had to, but I sure hope that won't ever be the case. LOL The little stinkers just wear me out, even though I do enjoy having them for a night or two! I love them all, so much. I had my 4 at a young age & now I am glad that I did. My energy is nothing now compared to what it used to be. I commend all grandparents that are raising their grands.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast