Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Hancock Fabrics closing all stores (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/hancock-fabrics-closing-all-stores-t277330.html)

cactusmomma 04-04-2016 04:53 AM

I felt the same way the last time I was in a Hancocks. Like I was being watched. This was a couple of years ago. I have a fabulous material store not too far from me, 35th Avenue Sew and Vac. I've been getting my fabric there since I found that store. Love the people working there too.

Abby'smom 04-04-2016 06:03 AM

:( so sad when fabric stores close --first it was local ones, and now a big chain :(

tessagin 04-04-2016 06:25 AM

Same here and I pointed out to them a few packages of rusty needles. They were told they could only return to the manufacturer if a customer purchased them and returned for their money back through the mail. Often if the clerks were cutting fabric, they weren't allowed to check anyone out upfront. The last few weeks they had a register back at the cutting table. It was total chaos for the 3 clerks that were there. there was also management in back who were just sitting chatting away.

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7513112)
The last few times I was in a Hancock Fabric store I left without buying anything. The fabric was not good quality and the notions were over priced. I remember when the store was a great place to shop, but over the last decade it has lost the quality. I think I read another company bought out the inventory of Hancock Fabric.

Boston1954 04-04-2016 06:29 AM

Thank you for letting us know. I did not go there very often, but I did get some great deals when I did.

Funny thing....the one in Fort Smith, Arkansas just moved to a larger location about 2 years ago. You would think that they were doing quite well instead of the other way around.

reginalovesfabric 04-04-2016 01:19 PM

our Hancocks was a million dollar a year store and it going too, and it's only 20% off. I'm sick over it. I was told after April they won't honor their own gift cards.

ghquilter53 04-04-2016 04:17 PM

Is this the Hancock's that is in Paducah also?

sewbizgirl 04-04-2016 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by ghquilter53 (Post 7514725)
Is this the Hancock's that is in Paducah also?

No. Hancock Fabrics has no affiliation with Hancock's of Paducah. HF has always been a store that sells seconds and lower quality fabric, whereas H-of-P sells only the high end designer quilt fabrics. They are as different as night and day. HF is a chain too, and H-of-P is a one-and-only.

slbram17 04-04-2016 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by reginalovesfabric (Post 7514598)
our Hancocks was a million dollar a year store and it going too, and it's only 20% off. I'm sick over it. I was told after April they won't honor their own gift cards.

I think the discounts are off list price so not so great when regular shoppers have seen better pricing from Hancocks just less than a week ago. Sad that so many people (over 4000) are now without employment.

slbram17 04-04-2016 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 (Post 7514120)
Thank you for letting us know. I did not go there very often, but I did get some great deals when I did.

Funny thing....the one in Fort Smith, Arkansas just moved to a larger location about 2 years ago. You would think that they were doing quite well instead of the other way around.

I read that Hancocks had hoped to find a buyer who would continue the business but ended up (in bankruptcy hearing) taking the highest bid from the company that is now running the liquidation of assets.

Chasing Hawk 04-06-2016 07:52 AM

Is there any news on what the online store is going to do? Is it shutting down also?