Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Hardwood laminate question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/hardwood-laminate-question-t298468.html)

Wanabee Quiltin 07-25-2018 05:51 AM

I have laminate in my sewing room and have never used a mat for 9 years now, not any roller marks yet. However I did drop my scissors once and they landed point down so I have a small cut.

dunster 07-25-2018 05:55 AM

There are different qualities of laminate, so the one you choose may make a difference.

Anniedeb 07-25-2018 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin (Post 8099925)
I have laminate in my sewing room and have never used a mat for 9 years now, not any roller marks yet. However I did drop my scissors once and they landed point down so I have a small cut.

I have laminate in my kitchen and have dropped knives several times....lots of cuts!! It amazes me that the knives always land point side down!! Our chairs slide and do not leave marks.

Cari-in-Oly 07-25-2018 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Anniedeb (Post 8100054)
I have laminate in my kitchen and have dropped knives several times....lots of cuts!! It amazes me that the knives always land point side down!!.

That's what a well balanced knife is supposed to do.

Cari

JohnnaLeeQuilts 07-25-2018 09:40 PM

I have some off the wall brand in-expensive laminate floor in my sewing room. It has been a bedroom, had an aquarium on it, my husband used the room for his man-cave (stored his junk in there) and it has been my sewing room for maybe 6 yrs. I don't use a mat, etc. the only thing down is a throw rug for the dog. I would say it's not as pristine as it once was but there's no marks. I've dropped my iron twice where it's hit nose first and left a divot. The only thing is that I use a steam mop, not a wet mop.

janjanq 07-26-2018 06:23 AM

I ended up with my butt on the floor because my chair rolled away on the laminate floor when I tried to sit on it. I'm very short and have to tiptoe to get my butt high enough to sit on the seat. If I bump it just a little the chair goes flying away. I now have to grab the armrest to hold it in place, but if my hands are full it's very awkward. However I've heard about castors made especially for laminate floors. I'm thinking of giving them a try. However i don't know if they're designed to protect the floor or to keep the chair from rolling too easily.

Tiggersmom 07-26-2018 03:10 PM

I have the fake wood looking floors that come in planks you get from Costco etc. and don't have a problem in my sewing room.

Rose_P 07-26-2018 06:57 PM

I take my dog to a groomer who has a laminate floor in his waiting area. Where the dogs scrabble over the doorway while the owners manage the dogs and the door the color is completely gone on the flooring, and it's also getting a bit scratched off at the area where we stand while paying. I would say definitely, yes. In fact, floor protectors are a good idea anywhere you have a rolling or scooting chair that gets a lot of use, no matter what kind of floor or carpet. Prevention is easier than repair.

nightquilter 07-26-2018 09:32 PM

We put this floor in our cabin, should not ever hurt this floor is what salesman said. Nothing but a sales pitch. I was mopping and moved a recliner a new one the base was on those big flat plastic bases and make a very bad place. It is under that chair so I do not have to look at it, but to answer you question Yes put something under that chair. I clean houses and in some of these houses they use a rolling chair at desk and the chairs get dust or whatever on the wheels and do mess with the finish of the floor.

1screech 07-28-2018 06:20 PM

If you get a quality laminate, you won't need a mat. The chairs will not hurt the floor.