Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Has anyone tried Amberen??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/has-anyone-tried-amberen-t46423.html)

mommaB 05-19-2010 05:45 PM

After my hysto at 37 the doc insisted I go on an estogen patch..and it took less than 2 years to produce estrogen receptive breast cancer!! Deal with the sweats and flashes and all the rest...mother nature intended for all of us to eventually go through it, might as well get it over with. Once the cancer came, they yanked me off the patch and put me on tamoxifen, which caused yet a whole bunch of other medical problems. I truely believe that estrogen patch I didn't want in the 1st place has essentially caused all my current and permanent medical issues. I say run from hormone replacement as fast as you can.

luv-e 05-19-2010 05:50 PM

MammaB, sorry to hear that happened to you and I hear you Loud and clear.
Thank you everyone for your input

CoyoteQuilts 05-20-2010 06:39 AM

I also have suffered the hot flashes, night sweats and such off and on the past 3-4 years. I tried black cohash and that didn't work real well, but with all the cancer in my family I refused to go on the hormone replacement. About 1-2 months ago my DH and I started taking B complex with Vit C to get our energy up. I'm not sure if it was this or the 'end' of my hot flashes and night sweats, but I'm not having any of that stuff any more. I also started walking more, drinking a lot more water and taking biotin, so I'm not sure if it was just me or what. All that I can say is 'Yahoo!!' and I'm not willing to stop what I'm doing to find out if that is what has helped.

Good luck on finding out what works for you. I know it's miserable until it stops....

true4uca 05-20-2010 08:23 AM

Read Dr. Lee's book "What your dr. won't tell you". I only used his progestrine (sp?) cream. Try it hopefully it will work for you. I just didn't want to gain weight.

ginnie6 05-20-2010 08:33 AM

I had a hyst at 39...right after ds was born. Nursed him for 16 months with no symptoms. When I weaned him though it hit....full force. I thought I was going to die. An older friend told me what was going on though. I never even thought about "the change" because they told me that since I had my ovaries it would not come early. I will not do hormone replacement. I have issues with doctors anyway....last time I saw one I ended up with a hysterectomy! What I have done is herbs. It takes a bit to get them adjusted to what you need. I take black cohosh and eveing primrose oil together and then a bit later I take some dong quai.

luv-e 05-20-2010 09:25 AM

That is why I wanted to so if anyone had taken the Amberen??
They say it is all natural.
I'm taking the Estroven AM + PM. It has alot of herbs in it and I walk too. Vit. C makes me eat!! Dr. Won't put me on any Rx meds. because of being afraid that the endometriosis will come back. [with 3 surgs.; there isn't much left for him to work with down there ] I do believe that this is what is happening now, that so many women have been on all this synthetic meds. and now our bodies are rejecting all of it . Also it is given us MORE problems??!!!??!!![ cancer for one]
Again Thank You so much for your kindness and information.

littlehud 05-20-2010 01:33 PM

My Dr put me on a very low dose birth control pill when I started going through the change. It took care of all the problems I was having. I went off it three years later and haven't had a problem since.

BellaBoo 05-20-2010 02:33 PM

Premarin isn't the good hormone replacement. HRT without premarin is considered safe by most studies. If you have no medical issues that require you to be off HRT, I would ask if the Dr. was making his decision based on a research study and which one and how does that study relate to your needs. He shouldn't have taken you off cold and expect you to just cope. I have family in the medical field and they say do some research on your health problem and the meds you are taking. Ask about the new studies and treatments for specific problems. If your Dr. pooh poohs your 'internet research' find a new Dr. The best of Drs. use the internet daily for research on drugs and treatments.

STAR 05-21-2010 03:51 AM

Premarin is made from pregnant horse urine, just a fact from pharm. class

reach for the stars 2 05-21-2010 04:18 AM

I sure hope you get better. If not I would go to another Dr. If he did this cold turkey that doesn't sound right. Any time they change my meds they do it slowly.