Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Has anyone tried Amberen??? >

Has anyone tried Amberen???

Has anyone tried Amberen???

Old 05-19-2010, 11:04 AM

Dr. took me off my premarin[ was on 25yrs] and Body is going NUTS :twisted: :twisted:
hotflashes and 45 lbs in 6 wks. OMG
Saw the ad and wondered if anyone has tried it ??? Over the counter isn't working. I would appreciate any input, Thanks
Old 05-19-2010, 11:40 AM

I can't help you but I can sympathize with you. I quit taking my hormone pills 3 weeks ago that I have been on since '82 & I am with you. No fun. I have not weighed but was always under the impression that the pills make you gain weight. I want to graze on everything in sight!!!! I hope you find some relief somewhere soon! Do you also feel real jittery? I sure do. Hate that!
Old 05-19-2010, 12:00 PM

Did he take you off it all at once? Mine wants me to go off Premarin which I have been taking since 1981. He cut my dosage in half, I did fine with that for three months. Now he wants me to go to one every other day, then after a few weeks to one every two days, etc. til I'm down to none. So far I haven't had any adverse reactions. He did say not to try to just stop all at once.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:50 PM

Do you mean Ambien? My Dr. prescribed it for me a couple of months ago because between the night sweats, depression and dealing with an elderly mother that lives 1500 miles away I was waking up every 20 minutes. It is not meant to be taken every night, I was told to take it only when I really need it. It seems to work and I didn't experience any sort of drowsiness the next day. I've only had to take it twice.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by JudyG
Did he take you off it all at once? Mine wants me to go off Premarin which I have been taking since 1981. He cut my dosage in half, I did fine with that for three months. Now he wants me to go to one every other day, then after a few weeks to one every two days, etc. til I'm down to none. So far I haven't had any adverse reactions. He did say not to try to just stop all at once.
I had to go off because of endometreiouis[sp] It has caused me to have abscess in the Vag. cuff of my Hyst. This is what they are finding out NOW that the premarin feeds the endometriousis and I've had 3 surg. in 5yrs. It has been awful. My Dr. even said there was a lady that came to him with the same problem , she was 80!!! Poor thing. They run the ad at the bottom of this page.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:22 PM

Sorry to hear about all those problems. My DIL has had several surgeries also for endometriosis. She doesn't take Premarin tho, so that's not her problem. I hope you are able to find something that works for you.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:30 PM

I don't know about he endo, but I do know that when I was going through menopause, I found that the extra strength New Phase, over the counter at Wal Mart help make the side effects less intense. At least I could sleep without waking up soaking wet! I would check with the doc first of course. It took about 3 weeks to kick in, but it helped. I ran out once and since money was tight decided to try it with out, cause did it really do anything? Well it took about 3 days, and then the misery began. Next payday, I got the New Phase again, and after about a week it, I was back to normal again.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:41 PM

I've not seen that. I'll go check it out. Right now I take estroven day and nite.
thank you..............
Old 05-19-2010, 03:44 PM

I had my hysterectomy when I was 39 - Doc put a Vivelle-Dot patch on and that is all I have used. My Doc says that this is what they use now - I know my mom and sisters all take premarin too. I say use what works for you and why do you have to not take it anymore.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by luv-e
Originally Posted by JudyG
I had to go off because of endometreiouis[sp] It has caused me to have abscess in the Vag. cuff of my Hyst. This is what they are finding out NOW that the premarin feeds the endometriousis and I've had 3 surg. in 5yrs. It has been awful. My Dr. even said there was a lady that came to him with the same problem , she was 80!!! Poor thing. They run the ad at the bottom of this page.
Otis. I've not heard of that med. either. quoted here why
thanks for the info.