Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   has anyone tried the Greek yogurt being advertized (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/has-anyone-tried-greek-yogurt-being-advertized-t145377.html)

Sunflower Girl 08-15-2011 11:30 AM

I tried it but I didn't like the texture and had a "wang" to it. I'll stick to my Yoplait!

QuiltMania 08-15-2011 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Hosta
how different does it taste from regular yogurt? Is it more expensive?

I love, love, love the Fage 0% fat plain yogurt. Thick and creamy, sour cream like flavor. I put some fresh berries in it and eat it that way. Yes, it is more expensive than regular. I think I pay $1.79 for a 6oz container.

vjengels 08-15-2011 11:39 AM

It's a little more expensive, but worth it in my opinion. more tangy; By the By, you can make your own greek style yogurt. Easiest way: take plain yogurt, strain using a sheet of paper towel or muslin, in a strainer, over a bowl in the frig, at least 8 hours pour off the liquid and Viola'!
Or, make yogurt from scratch, way less expensive;
1 gallon of lowfat milk heated to 180*, then cooled to 110* . Mix 1 cup of the warmed milk with 4 oz of plain ( no flavor, or sugar) yogurt containing active cultures.then mix that into the other milk. cover and kleep warm for 8-12 hrs.I used a heating pad on medium, covered the kettle with a heavy towel to keep the heat in;strain the same as above for desired thickness. this will keep in the frig for up to a week.

Quiltinggma-nc 08-15-2011 11:57 AM

Yes I have tried several different brands of Greek yogurt. Love the flavor and the texture. A little more expensive but worth it.

BellaBoo 08-15-2011 11:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I make my own. It's so easy and very cheap. You can buy a yogurt maker in about any dept store but I use my countertop oven. You can use any type of milk you like. I use Flax milk, almond milk, coconut milk, and add powdered milk to add a calcium boost. Milk, yogurt starter (a dab of fresh yogurt will do) that's all you need. Draining the fresh yogurt makes Greek style yogurt. Here is a pic of a quart of fresh yogurt I made at a friend's house to show her how to do it.

charity-crafter 08-15-2011 12:13 PM

So draining it makes it greek? it's basically thicker? From the way it tastes I thought it was a different culture.

I don't know anything about yogurt. I find it innteresting when people make food from scratch.

Scrap Happy 08-15-2011 12:13 PM

I use Greek yogurt in place of sour cream sometimes.

BMP 08-15-2011 12:26 PM

I dont like to eat like the other yogurts but since I think it tastes more like sour cream I do use it for anything I would use sour cream for

TShooters 08-15-2011 12:43 PM

I like it, too. I use the plain non-fat with equal amount of light mayo and dry ranch dressing mix to make veggie dip/salad dressing. I like my dressing thick. :D

crafty pat 08-15-2011 12:45 PM

I love the one with honey, my DD told me to try it and I like more than the other's I have been eating.