Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Has anyone used a smooth top cook surface to can? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/has-anyone-used-smooth-top-cook-surface-can-t123330.html)

grammyp 05-15-2011 06:19 PM

They are not really canner friendly. Some older pressure cookers have flat bottoms and can be used, but most have a slight curve to them. I had a flat top in a rental house a few years ago and did not like it. If I ever get my choice, I'll have a gas stove put in.

nana20010 05-15-2011 06:51 PM

just went to a caning claass the flat top stoves is not able to get the heat hotnenough for proper caning are something like thewt call your agriculture dep. they could seed u in the right person to ask

dandjs82496 05-15-2011 07:08 PM

I canned on my glass top stove last fall. I didn't have any problems. I had bought a new pressure canner and it had the outer edges of the bottom raised off of the burner. The book that came with the canner said it is safe to use on the smooth top stoves. I like the cleanup part, but I have a had time keeping my pans right on the burner. Seems like I always have to keep looking and moving the pan. It slides if I stir anything.

GreatStarter 05-15-2011 07:22 PM

I have a flat top stove. I like it, but found out I can't use cast iron on it as it holds the heat and could cause the top to crack. Also I won't can on it, I had one good pot and heated water in it one day. Turned out the bottom of the pot was slightly uneven and that thing rattled horribly. After that I found out never, ever to set a hot lid onto a glass top or it can cause it to crack!
My next stove won't be a flat top.
Kat

okiepastor 05-15-2011 07:25 PM

All I know from hearing sad stories from friends is do NOT can on one, and do NOT use cast iron! the top cracks and you are buying a new stove!

Gramie bj 05-15-2011 08:31 PM

Do NOT can on a glass top. A new glass top runs about $200. Don't ask how I know, not a pretty story!LOL

cjtinkle 05-16-2011 02:35 AM

I purchased a Camp Chef triple burner outdoor propane stove to do my canning on. I use All-American canners, and they are very heavy.

I do pressure COOK on my glass top, with my Kuhn Rikon cookers, but I don't can on it.

sewobsessed1 05-16-2011 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj
Do NOT can on a glass top. A new glass top runs about $200. Don't ask how I know, not a pretty story!LOL

Ditto!! Been there, done that...

dragonflylady 05-16-2011 03:10 AM

YES & I cracked, broke & replaced 3 tops. in the end NOT a high quality surface. I was tired of spending 300$ to replace each top more then I spent for the stove to start with. I did pressure cook on mine the salesmen when i replaced it with electric coil asked me if i can on it when i said yes he told me ur NOT to can on flat top cause its too heavy & they WILL break & crack. In fact the last time it cracked my pressure cooker was on it & I heard it creak & my heart sank cause i KNEW it was breaking AGAIN & tried sooooo hard to take special care of it. The salesman also told me which he didnt give me info that he said he would for it. that is there is some special electric coil u can replace that is for canning, im going to try this if i can find it.

kuntryquilter 05-16-2011 03:47 AM

I have had my glass/smooth top range for almost 14 years. I do some serious canning on it and have not had any problems.

Originally Posted by Jo M
My stove expired today so I'll be out looking for a new one tomorrow.

I do a moderate amount of canning every year. I'm limited to an electric stove right now (gas lines expected in our area in the next few years:) ). During the process, I use heavy pressure cookers that are on simmer for several hours at a time on my coil type burners. The splatters are a pain to clean up when I'm through so I'm really kind of worried about leaving a pot that long on the glass top stove. Any advice?