Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Has anyone used a smooth top cook surface to can? >

Has anyone used a smooth top cook surface to can?

Has anyone used a smooth top cook surface to can?

Old 05-15-2011, 03:33 PM

My stove expired today so I'll be out looking for a new one tomorrow.

I do a moderate amount of canning every year. I'm limited to an electric stove right now (gas lines expected in our area in the next few years:) ). During the process, I use heavy pressure cookers that are on simmer for several hours at a time on my coil type burners. The splatters are a pain to clean up when I'm through so I'm really kind of worried about leaving a pot that long on the glass top stove. Any advice?
Old 05-15-2011, 03:50 PM

I have a smooth glass top range. I haven't done any serious canning since I got it and from what I've read, it could pose a problem. You have to have the heat so high for so long that heat can build up under the canner and maybe crack the glass. Google your question, several times with different wording. I've found good food for thought many times that way. If you are lucky you will find some boards or blogs where this is discussed. Also, ask at the appliance store. Good luck. BTW, I do love my glass top, and I moved away from my large garden area so don't need to can any more anyway.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:03 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, Novie. I did the search(es) you suggested and found just what you mentioned. Most popular brands of pressure canners state that "Pressure Cooker/Canners are NOT suitable for glass/flat top ranges."

Stove manufacturers do not recommend canning because of what you said about heat being trapped under a pot exceeding the burner size, which can cause serious damage or crack the top.

Looks like it's going to be another coil burner for me. Boo hoo.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:51 PM

My family does about 30 bushels of tomato sauce every year and some other things too...we do it all outside...we have propane burners, big pots, etc...and it is the best thing ...just hose down the garage floor or the back patio and we are done..we also cooked 12 lobster at a time in these pots and corn of the cob..the burners are not too expensive...and saves your indoor appliances...
Old 05-15-2011, 04:53 PM

I have a flat top stove but I haven't done any canning in years. When I did do a lot of canning, I had an electric stove with the coil burners on it. I don't know how a flat top stove would be with canning. It is something to ask the sales rep when you look for a new stove.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:40 PM
Power Poster

What about loooking at gas or propane?
Old 05-15-2011, 05:43 PM
Power Poster

When we bought our stove several years ago, the salesman also recommended getting burners that set a bit higher from the stove than the regular ones.

He discouraged the glass top one, too, because of the canning in a big pressure cooker.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:56 PM

I rented a house that had a "glass" top. I would not recommend canning on this. Good suggestion of doing the canning outside. Helps keep the heat out of the house too.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:13 PM
Banned

my sisters BOOKLET for her glass top stove says NO to cast iron and NO to canning pots!
Old 05-15-2011, 06:16 PM

I use my cast iron skillet on my glass top and I have canned on mine. But, I wouldn't suggest canning You can see that it is discolored now. I just told my husband that when this oneies I want to go back to the coil electric.
Judy