Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Has anyone used a smooth top cook surface to can? >

Has anyone used a smooth top cook surface to can?

Has anyone used a smooth top cook surface to can?

Old 05-16-2011, 03:53 AM

I have a flat top and I can on it every year. I know they say not to but I have not had any problems.

(I can about 300 quarts jars every year the stove is 10 years old)

Vicky
Old 05-16-2011, 04:02 AM
BJN

Last summer my DIL and I canned green beans, tomatoes, peaches, and beef on her glass top stove- no problem. These were all done in pints in the pressure canner. No problems.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:05 AM
Power Poster

Would a suggestion be to get one of those coil hot plates? Would it get hot enough? Some of them look high end to me and then you could get the flat top. I don't can or use a pressure cooker but I swore I would never clean those coils or use burner bibs ever again!!!!
Old 05-16-2011, 04:19 AM

I have owned two glass tops. The only reason I got a second one is because we moved and the new house did not have one. I hate cleaning stove tops. Both electric and gas. Plus, I'm leary of gas stoves. You have to be so careful of the pilot light. A friend of mine lost her eyelashes and eyebrows when she relit a pilot light too soon. It was a very loud boom. She was lucky she was not seriously hurt.

The worse mess I ever made on the glass top took only about 5 minutes to clean up. The worse mess I have made on previous stoves - sometimes 2 hours to clean depending on whether I had to lift the top up and really get in there.

But, I was told never to use a large pot (one that extends way beyond the burner area) because if it boiled over, the hot water could hit a cold spot and break/crack the top.

I was never told not to use cast iron. I have a nice set of Bernes cookware. It's aluminun not iron, but it's flat on the bottom and never had a problem with it. I've owned my current glass top for well over 13 years.

I also don't use those cleaners that come with the stove. Just hot, sudsy Dawn dishsoap. It cuts the grease and shines the stove too.

Can you tell I love my glass top? I cook a lot so the stove gets a lot of use.

I don't pressure cook so I've never really looked, but can you get the cooker as an electrical appliance? I know there are electric skillets and griddles and grills.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:23 AM

I went from my DD's house with a coil type to my brothers with a glass top and I have been burning everything. I am glad to know about the canning because I was thinking of doing some this year.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:27 AM

I have a smooth top Jenn-air I would not do canning on it.
I bought a cheap model regular stove and have it in the garage for canning.
It's great to have extra oven for family dinners.Sometimes when I don't want all the extra heat in the kitchen. I use it. I am so glad I was able to do this.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:30 AM

Okay I have had my flat top for approx 12 yrs now and can on it every season but here is the catch. My caner only holds 4 quart jars not the huge 7 jar caner. In the book it talks about aluminum, cast iron and copper bottom pots. The copper bottom pots, aluminum are both conductors of electricity and can make the element under hotter then it is to be and will crack it and the cast iron pretty much the same way. I can do a run of green beans and have another one ready to start by the time it takes to do a run and them to cool off by using the 4 quart caner and mother is only getting 7 quarts done and it only taking about 5 minutes more. The 4 quart are hard to fine and I have had mine about 20 yrs. Hope this helps
Old 05-16-2011, 04:34 AM

Guy who sold me mine stove asked if I cannedand I said yes...he said then you don't want this smooth top.But I had a friend who used all her old pot and pans on hers and no problem.........But I am a chicken. so if I were you I would talk to a dearler for you get one.Charlotte
Old 05-16-2011, 04:50 AM

I do a very lot of canning on my glass top stove. If I'm canning, I usually can at least 3 canner loads up to 6 per day (mainly the weekends). I can meat or beans which take 90 minutes to can after the pressure has built up to 15 pounds. Make sure that the canner you have has the extra metal round piece on the bottom of it and not a flat bottom all the way across. The canner that I use is a 23 quart canner and I usually put as much as possible in there. I have had 20 pints at one time in my canner; 7 quarts and 5 pints (the new short wide mount pints); or even 5 quarts and 4 pints. I have not had a problem with the canner on the stove. I do not push it around on the stove, I pick it up and move it and YES it is heavy. I didn't know that you weren't supposed to use the canner on flat tops until after I had gotten my. But canning is a way of life for me, so I decided if it breaks I will have to just go get another stove. So far - so good. I also use my cast iron and copper bottom pots!
Old 05-16-2011, 04:55 AM

Guess I've been lucky. I've had a glass top now for 5 years and the only skillets I have are cast iron. Haven't had any problems. I also use my water canner/pressure canner on it without problems. Never even occurred to me that I shouldn't do it. This is the first time I've ever had an electric stove and I really miss the gas. The glass looks nice, but I probably wouldn't be what I would pick if I had a choice.