Old 05-16-2011, 04:19 AM
AlienQuilter

I have owned two glass tops. The only reason I got a second one is because we moved and the new house did not have one. I hate cleaning stove tops. Both electric and gas. Plus, I'm leary of gas stoves. You have to be so careful of the pilot light. A friend of mine lost her eyelashes and eyebrows when she relit a pilot light too soon. It was a very loud boom. She was lucky she was not seriously hurt.

The worse mess I ever made on the glass top took only about 5 minutes to clean up. The worse mess I have made on previous stoves - sometimes 2 hours to clean depending on whether I had to lift the top up and really get in there.

But, I was told never to use a large pot (one that extends way beyond the burner area) because if it boiled over, the hot water could hit a cold spot and break/crack the top.

I was never told not to use cast iron. I have a nice set of Bernes cookware. It's aluminun not iron, but it's flat on the bottom and never had a problem with it. I've owned my current glass top for well over 13 years.

I also don't use those cleaners that come with the stove. Just hot, sudsy Dawn dishsoap. It cuts the grease and shines the stove too.

Can you tell I love my glass top? I cook a lot so the stove gets a lot of use.

I don't pressure cook so I've never really looked, but can you get the cooker as an electrical appliance? I know there are electric skillets and griddles and grills.