Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Has anyone used a smooth top cook surface to can? >

Has anyone used a smooth top cook surface to can?

Has anyone used a smooth top cook surface to can?

Old 05-16-2011, 05:02 AM

My friend has one and we use it for canning all kinds of vegetables. It isn't hard to clean if you use the cleaner for it. We usually have two canners going at the same time.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:05 AM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

I HATE my flat top stove but love the extra room in the oven. Would I buy one again.. N O..

good luck on your choices

Ell
Old 05-16-2011, 05:05 AM

I can on my glass top and have never had a problem and was never told I could not can on it.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:06 AM

I asked this same question last year. I had canned a bunch of tomatoes, tomato sauce, pears and pear butter before I read the hot water bath instructions. They said no canning on a glass top. However, some QB members said they had canned for years on theirs and never had a lick of trouble. I think I will continue to can on mine.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:07 AM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

Originally Posted by Gramie bj
Do NOT can on a glass top. A new glass top runs about $200. Don't ask how I know, not a pretty story!LOL
Saw Kate of Jon and Kate plus 8 crack her top while cooking an extra large soup ( could be size of canner we own).. she put the lid down and the lid caused a vacuum and cracked the top.. had to order a new one fast to complete the show.. befor they had moved into super large house..

too bad this was shown after i bought the darn thing.. Husband wanted one.. because crumbs ( his crumbs) in the coils.. sigh
Old 05-16-2011, 05:34 AM

If you search on this question, you'll find a website that states you can do canning on a smooth top stove (http://www.pickyourown.org/cannings4glasstop.htm). Your canner cannot exceed the width of your burner by more than 1", so that means you'll have to do smaller batches in something the size of a stock pot. I did jellies and jams on mine last year and had no problem. You also cannot can on a smooth top element that has a thermostat that cuts the burner off and on, as it will not keep the consistent heat needed to kill bacteria. I have one burner that does it and one and does not. Please read this website for further info.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:03 AM

My cook top is 12 years old. I was told by the installer if I canned on it there would be no guarantee if it broke, but I have canned pints on it but never quarts.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:15 AM

I have a propane grill with the extra burner so I can use that instead of the smooth cooktop. I don't use any thing real heavy on my stove. I don't want to have to replace it as they are quite expensive.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:16 AM

I bought a glass top stove. I cleaned it after EVERY use with the polish that you can buy especially for glass tops. The pans left rings 'burnt into' the top. My pans were brand new (3 weeks old, got them from Christmas). They were $400.00 pans from Belgique. After not being able to clean my top, I called Sears and told them and they replaced the top. That year I tried to do my canning on it. Since the largest burner is about 10 inches wide and the canner was about 16 inches wide it left marks AGAIN in my stove top. As I sat there and cried, I'd had enough. I called Sears again. They said they had already replaced it once. I said yes, I know, but I didn't realize when I bought it that I coldn't do things on it that I used to do on my electric top. I told them to come and get it or I would drop it off at their door. Before I hung up with them, they had made arrangements to come and pick it up. I took better care of that range top than I did my cats. It still 'burned on'. The pattern of the elements is what shows in black. I think the concept if great. They look beautiful but I wasn't paying $1200.00 for a top that looks years old after the first use. Knowing what I know now, I'll never have another one.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:08 AM

I do can on my smooth top range but I use a steam canner. It looks like an upside down canner. This canner has a flat bottom which is essential in the heating process. The cleanup I do is usually from prep work not the canning process. I clean mine after each use also so has never been too bad to clean.
Originally Posted by Jo M
My stove expired today so I'll be out looking for a new one tomorrow.

I do a moderate amount of canning every year. I'm limited to an electric stove right now (gas lines expected in our area in the next few years:) ). During the process, I use heavy pressure cookers that are on simmer for several hours at a time on my coil type burners. The splatters are a pain to clean up when I'm through so I'm really kind of worried about leaving a pot that long on the glass top stove. Any advice?
:D