Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Has anyone used a smooth top cook surface to can? >

Has anyone used a smooth top cook surface to can?

Has anyone used a smooth top cook surface to can?

Old 05-17-2011, 12:57 PM

YES they can be used for canning. If you already have the stove, call the store you got it at, they can tell if yours will work, if you are looking to buy one, ask the sales person where you buy it. I have canned on mine for several years.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:16 PM

I have had nothing but glass top stoves for 35 years. I have used several different pressure cookers on them and every kind of pot or pan, flat bottom or not. I also have my pressing board on my wine room stove sometimes (yes, we make wine, too, which requires heating large quantities (10 pounds) of sugar in a gallon or less of water). I started with a white Corning top which discolored with heat and when it was replaced got a black top. Moved to a house with a 7 year old stove (now in the wine making kitchen) and bought a new stove for the family kitchen. I have had only the discoloration problem with the white cooktop but no problems of any sort with any type of pan. You have to use your own judgement but I wouldn't hesitate to do any type of cooking, canning or even pressing with my iron on a towel or pressing mat on the stove top. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do. (PS the stove salesman slammed an iron skillet down hard on the store stove top with no damage)
Old 05-17-2011, 08:27 PM

I had a glass top stove many years ago and put a pan of water on to make tea went to church and forgot burner was on.Pan was red hot when we got home so with out thinking I immediately tried to move pan off burner but it was stuck .Few hours later went back and glass top had large hole where pan had been.