Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Has anyone used a smooth top cook surface to can? >

Has anyone used a smooth top cook surface to can?

Has anyone used a smooth top cook surface to can?

Old 05-16-2011, 02:44 PM

I have a glass top and have had it at least 6 years and can on it all the time, my SIL does also, never had any trouble with it. Mine is an Amana
Old 05-16-2011, 03:10 PM

Have you thought about the new induction stoves? Only the items in the canner get hot. The stove stays cool.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:03 PM

I have a magtag glass top Electric stove and I have had it for about 3 or 4 yrs now and really like it. You have to use special wax cleaner on it and also use the razor to clean up spots right away. I only make Jam on mine. Don't do any canning anymore. Good luck
Old 05-16-2011, 05:06 PM

My sister has an electric stove and in place of "coils" are heavy solid metal "burners". She loves it and did a lot of research before buying it. It has served her very well and she is an avid canner. I don't know the name brand, but I'd hunt for one like it if I did a lot of canning.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:33 PM

My sister and I both can on our flat tops.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:36 PM

In our Florida house we put in all stainless appliances with the smooth top stove a couple of years ago. I hate it.
In fact I don't like the stainless, always wiping finger prints.
In this house in Maine the sstove is electric with coils and it is ok. All my former homes had gas, those I loved. I don't think I would can on the smooth top.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:15 PM

I would by a hot plate for canning. My mom uses her pressure canner on her flat top to do tomatoes. It is only ten minutes at a time. Not sure why it would make a difference if you were canning or making soup.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:52 PM

If you have a porch or an open garage nothing beats the three burner Coleman stove for canning. I have two American canners (one does 24 quarts at a timeand one does 7. We use to go camping and go pick huckleberries and go to the boats and buy tuna and salmon and canned at the camp ground with a Coleman. It worked so well we use it at home now in an outdoor kitchen.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Novice.for.now
I have a smooth glass top range. I haven't done any serious canning since I got it and from what I've read, it could pose a problem. You have to have the heat so high for so long that heat can build up under the canner and maybe crack the glass. Google your question, several times with different wording. I've found good food for thought many times that way. If you are lucky you will find some boards or blogs where this is discussed. Also, ask at the appliance store. Good luck. BTW, I do love my glass top, and I moved away from my large garden area so don't need to can any more anyway.
(and ask the manufacturers.)
Old 05-17-2011, 04:04 AM

I have had a smooth top for almost 17 years. I have used it to can using a pressure canner. Also have slow simmered spaghetti sauce for canning for HOURS. I have not been ABLE to crack that top. I personally do not like the smooth top for cooking of any kind, but perhaps that's because mine is old. It holds the heat too long and there is very little control. I have abused it every way I can think of short of dropping my iron skillet on it (they don't recommend iron skillets either) and that thing just keeps going. I'm going to give up soon and just get rid of it and replace with a gas stove.
Just my personal opinion.