Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   have any of you decided to just go gray? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/have-any-you-decided-just-go-gray-t110451.html)

debcavan 03-26-2011 05:59 AM

My friend Sharon did and she had the most gorgeous Sal and Pepper hair.

My Aunt dyed her hair jet black all her life. It was harsh in her later years. Now it is it's natural white and so gorgeous and so soft and gentle next to her skin tones

Lynneander 03-26-2011 06:02 AM

I've never colored my hair, just let nature take it's course. My hairdresser said she wouldn't color it, even if I asked. My Mom had beautiful gray hair ... maybe she passed it along?

damaquilts 03-26-2011 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by quilter on the eastern edge
I stopped colouring my hair about 15 years ago and haven't regretted it at all. I am totally silver grey -- with the exception of a royal blue streak on the right side of my head! :D

I get so many positive comments, especially from the younger generation. They think it is so cool. So many women have said to me that they wish they had the nerve to put a streak in their hair. I tell them "Go ahead and do it. It's only hair, after all."

I think that is awesome. I have a friend that dyes ehr hair black but with a bright red top. I stopped dying my hair when I had surgery. Got it cut really really short because I knew I wasn't going to be able to mess with it. Good thing. Spent a week in ICU in a coma. And you know they don't wash hair there. Can you imagine what it would have been like if I hadn't cut it? It was down to my waist!! It is slooowwly turning white but mostly salt and pepper in the back. I have thought about coloring it again but hate the thought of constant up keep. I just wish it would go completely white like my great grandfathers was.

Yooper32 03-26-2011 06:16 AM

I didn't color much, just highlights rinse, more or less, but, I gave that up when I watched Barbara Bush at her husband's innaguaration ball. I figured if she didn't have to color her hair, I didn't either.

qwkslver 03-26-2011 06:17 AM

I skipped gray and am going directly to white. I look a little like Lily Munster. I don't much care. I'm someone's grandmother.

GABBYABBY 03-26-2011 06:20 AM

Yes!!!! It is such a relief to not worry if any gray
is showing? or white roots showing!!!!
I asked my husband how my hair looked the other
day as I getting ready to go to a quilting lesson and
he said it looks good if you like gray hair................
he doesn't know how lucky he is that I didn't hit him
with something for that remark!!!! ha ha ha

Lyncat 03-26-2011 06:27 AM

I've been coloring my hair since the first gray started showing when I was thirty, so 25 years later I am working on transitioning to gray. My favorite hair guy Don is doing some sort of magic to make it less noticeable. We'll see...if I don't like it I can always go back! Those little magic markers for hair work great for hiding white roots!

farmquilter 03-26-2011 06:33 AM

I have been using a sage/rosemary herb rinse on my grey hair and it is now champagne. I was a light blonde as a child so this is close to my youth color.
I now use it about every other week, I leave it in for a day before washing out.

Check out this site for some hints,
http://curezone.com/blogs/fm.asp?i=974735

shrabar 03-26-2011 06:36 AM

I stopped coloring my hair & it is White as snow & I love it & so does everyone else they say do not color it I also put serum on it to make it shine & shine it does & I keep it short. Happy quilting

nanac 03-26-2011 06:44 AM

I am in my late 50's and have never colored my hair. Every time I go to the hairdresser, she asks me if I would like to try a different color, but the answer is always "No, I EARNED every one of these gray hairs, and I am not going to cover them up". BTW, for my age, I actually have more brown hair than gray.
nanac