Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   have any of you decided to just go gray? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/have-any-you-decided-just-go-gray-t110451.html)

BMP 03-25-2011 04:20 AM

I stopped coloring too.

Riversong 03-25-2011 04:52 AM

Sure,,,I earned it!

mltquilt 03-25-2011 04:53 AM

I stopped coloring about three years ago and my hair was silver grey. The color was fine but made me feel really old. Have a great hairdresser and she slowly started moving me back to color. I now wear it colored and highlighted with foils. Looks great without really white roots due to the highlighting. Oldest daughter was the one that requested I stop coloring and then she was a big proponent of me starting coloring again.

mltquilt

dakotamaid 03-25-2011 05:09 AM

No dye here, I'm a natural, very silver. Dyed it once, it turned orange, that was it, no more!!:)

bj 03-25-2011 05:14 AM

I started graying at 16. I've never colored it. It has been pretty gray/white since I was 35. My hair grows so fast, I think I would look like a skunk most of the time if I dyed it, so I don't. My husband says I'd look 10 years younger, but the older I get the more I think so what. I'd still look pretty dang old :-D :-D I like the color it is. I've decided to start telling people I'm 10 years older than I am, then they'll think I look pretty good for 70 :-D

LindaR 03-25-2011 05:21 AM

I started going grey at 40 but after radiation I just wanted to keep the hair I had left LOL, don't mind it at all...you go thru a stage of salt/pepper but thats kinda neat too...

Terre 03-25-2011 05:32 AM

love every gray/white hair that is gently showing up on my head. i prefer to keep every strand the way it naturally will be. i have 5 sisters and a mother who all color their gray away. guess im the unique one!

emerald46 03-25-2011 05:35 AM

My Mom and 2 sisters have gorgeous thick curly snow white hair. Being the firstborn, I figure my parents didn't know what they were doing...I am fair w/freckles and straight dishwater blonde hair (or at least it was at 17. My hair has been chemically dependent since my sr yr of hs), Went natural for 3 months and was always doing a dble take when passing a mirror...ugh!

happymrs 03-25-2011 05:41 AM

I'm not ready either & I recently turned 59, but sure don't feel it. I love my hair colored. Gray, or salt & pepper is not my color, so I prefer my medium auburn. I even get asked if it's natural. I color it myself, so it doesn't cost much. DH is gray, of course & looks great. I just tease him & tell him, this way, people think he is married to a much younger woman! I have always colored my hair, & done it myself. I can't imagine letting it go gray, but someday, who knows. Like someone else said, I would probably have to cut it real short & not ready for that either. Right now, I just pull it back & braid it, & love it. Easy to take care of & stays out of my way, & out of everything else. Do what works for you, if you go gray & don't like it, you can always go back to coloring it!...

thequilteddove 03-25-2011 05:41 AM

Not 100%... I'm fortunate that my grey is come'n in salt & pepper like, but it is getting WAY too much of the salt lol I'm not ready for a real die job, so I started getting my hair lightly highlighted. I still have some grey, but a lot of it ended up a warm 'honey/brown'. With my brown hair, it looks rather natural. I wait until it's almost completely grown out before I have it redone (like 3 hair cuts since I don't go very often to have my hair done lol)