Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   have you checked your bank account latley? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/have-you-checked-your-bank-account-latley-t218999.html)

suzyq2154 04-14-2013 04:39 AM

Ladies, do yourselves a favor and set up a paypal account. I got hit a few months ago after purchasing a quilt pattern online from ToaduSew. Luckily, my bank noticed a 75 cent charge and refused it. Then they tried a charge over $350. and the bank also refused that one and called me within 5 minutes of the transaction on a sunday morning. The bank issued me a new debit card and I set up a paypal account. That way, nobody gets to see my debit card info.

jbj137 04-14-2013 06:20 AM

My Discover was hit several months ago.
Discover called me on a Sunday to chceck out transcations.
1st one for a $1.00 was an experiment to see if it worked.
2nd was for $99.00 to load music on an I-pod.
I do not have either.

We are in SC that had the breach and I do not know if this had anything to do with it,but

someone tried to get into my sister's 401K at Wells Fargo and they stopped it.

cindyb 04-14-2013 06:45 AM

Don't feel so secure with a Paypal Account. My boss has one and it got hacked TWICE!!

Originally Posted by suzyq2154 (Post 5999765)
Ladies, do yourselves a favor and set up a paypal account. I got hit a few months ago after purchasing a quilt pattern online from ToaduSew. Luckily, my bank noticed a 75 cent charge and refused it. Then they tried a charge over $350. and the bank also refused that one and called me within 5 minutes of the transaction on a sunday morning. The bank issued me a new debit card and I set up a paypal account. That way, nobody gets to see my debit card info.

damaquilts 04-14-2013 07:32 AM

I am pretty careful about who I order from and usually go through paypal if I can. That way I have double protection. Navy Federal is pretty good about calling and asking about charges that are unusual. So far, knock on wood, I haven't had an issue.

gramacheri 04-14-2013 08:42 AM

We had $19,000 charged onto our credit account for "solar energy products!" If these people would try to put as much effort into legal pursuits they would probably make lots of money and not have to look over their shoulders all the time!

LINDARIZZ 04-14-2013 08:54 AM

NEVER USE YOUR DEBIT CARD ONLINE!
i have worked at a Bank for the last 20 years. I have witnessed so much online fraud with customers using their Visa debit cards that are tied to their bank accounts! DH and I use ONE dedicated credit card for online purchases only. Easy to track your balance and charges online anytime and we aren't putting our personal banking information out there for the unsavory to hack into.

solstice3 04-14-2013 09:13 AM

will do...thanks!!!

omaluvs2quilt 04-14-2013 09:49 AM

I worked in banking for many years and COMPLETELY agree!!! I only use my Discover with the "generate secure account number" feature or Paypal. If your card is compromised, it's much easier to deal with a credit card re-issue than changing your whole bank account.

Originally Posted by LINDARIZZ (Post 6000537)
NEVER USE YOUR DEBIT CARD ONLINE!
i have worked at a Bank for the last 20 years. I have witnessed so much online fraud with customers using their Visa debit cards that are tied to their bank accounts! DH and I use ONE dedicated credit card for online purchases only. Easy to track your balance and charges online anytime and we aren't putting our personal banking information out there for the unsavory to hack into.

CAS49OR 04-14-2013 10:06 AM

I have set up alerts at my bank and credit cards. They let me know if there is unusual activity. btw I got text msg on my phone from American Express and I thought it was spam, I did not respond to the text, but I called the number on the back of my card. I found out someone had tried to buy airline tickets. AmX did not let it happen, and let me know about it. I quickly got a replacement card.

CAS49OR 04-14-2013 10:12 AM

Paypal is great because you are 100% compensated if anything happens. They always give the buyer the benefit of the doubt if something happens. Do know that Paypal will not email you to ask you to confirm your account identity. If you ever receive an email about something like that do not click the link in the email. Open your web browser and go to Paypal site instead.

I am happy to see more and more sites accepting Paypal option because I know I'm covered.

I used to just use it on eBay, and they refunded my money, no questions asked, when I had an issue with a seller.

Originally Posted by cindyb (Post 6000211)
Don't feel so secure with a Paypal Account. My boss has one and it got hacked TWICE!!