Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Have you ever made receiving blankets? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/have-you-ever-made-receiving-blankets-t229405.html)

quiltingmimipj 09-04-2013 05:40 AM

This isn't the best picture; however, it is a picture of two flannel one and one seersucker. I just cut out a 36" square. I finger press 1/4" over as I go. I use a Number 5 steel crochet hook to make a hole and single crochet. Then I chain 3. Then go back into the same hole with another single crochet.

Uh oh. No picture.

quiltingmimipj 09-04-2013 05:47 AM

Receiving Blankets

1 Attachment(s)
Try again.

sherryl1 09-04-2013 06:17 AM

Yes.Go to Missourie Quilt Co. on you tube.Jenny does a tute on baby blankets.These are fast and very easy.They get used all the time by the mothers.

ShirlinAZ 09-04-2013 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 (Post 6272307)
I do the same as Diannia. I wash and dry the flannel - cut a 36 inch square, round the corners (using a plate), serge the edges then crochet a shell stitch around the edge. I have a whole stock pile of these blankets - some done by my Mother- these are for my grandkids when they have their babies. I buy my flannel when Hancock's has the fabric on sale for $2.00 per yard! I have 4 left to crochet around this year. Have never done two fabrics.

This is what I do also. I only use double sided flannel. After I cut the 36" square I cut the remaining strip in half, round those corners, and crochet around each one. A receiving blanket and 2 burp cloths from 1 yard of flannel. Greatly appreciated by all mothers. I had some extra burp cloths in my sewing bag when my niece visited and she took them home for her grandchildren!

quiltingmimipj 09-04-2013 08:40 AM

I take the extra fabric and sew it down the middle of a pre-folded diaper. It makes a really thick burp pad.

Neesie 09-04-2013 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingmimipj (Post 6273420)
I take the extra fabric and sew it down the middle of a pre-folded diaper. It makes a really thick burp pad.

When my kids (adults now) were babies, I always used pre-folded diapers, for burp cloths. They were the BEST! My baby boy would usually grab the (clean) cloth off my shoulder, as I put him down for a nap, then sleep with it. :D

Caswews 09-04-2013 10:04 AM

I have always made the blankets bigger for the crib size and to overlap the mattress.. Even a quilt is bigger than a crib size for growth.

Cookie LM 09-04-2013 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by michelleoc (Post 6272273)
Has anyone ever made flannel receiving blankets just using two fabrics, birthing, and then stitching around the whole thing? Since there is no batting, do you sew anything in the middle or just the outside edge? It seems like it would get a little weird after washing without more stitching on it.

Check out the Missouri Quilt videos Jenny has a tutorial on a nice 2 piece baby blanket I made one it is nice. Have Fun

jbud2 09-04-2013 12:07 PM

I also have made several of the baby blankets from the Missouri Star quilt tutorial. Just make sure you have marked your corners correctly before cutting!! I know. . .

dgeskine 09-04-2013 12:14 PM

If you don't need the double layer, a simple rolled hem all around works just fine, too. I also prefer the crocheted border when time and talent permit.