Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Have you ever made a Roman shade? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/have-you-ever-made-roman-shade-t262083.html)

joivey 03-03-2015 10:14 AM

Have you ever made a Roman shade?

Have any of you made a Roman shade starting with just a plain roller shade? I am interested in doing this and wonder if you friends would encourage this project or recommend I find another way to cover a window. Thank you for your help.
Jo Ann

Jingle 03-03-2015 10:54 AM

No. I do have a book how to make them and just about every kind of window covers.

RedGarnet222 03-03-2015 10:59 AM

No I haven't made one from an old regular shade. I think you would need a little more weight to the shade than what that would provide. But, I am sure anything is possible if you are determined.

I enjoy my topper with a regular pull up matchstick type shade under it. That way you have some décor while enjoying the sunlight during the day. I also use a topper with the white wide wooden blinds. It works great.

Check out the major pattern companies books at the fabric stores. (or on line) There are many styles of coverings you can make to suit your style.

humbird 03-03-2015 11:12 AM

I have made Roman Shades. Still have them in my bedroom. I did not use a roller. You need a base to attach them to, ( board) then we attached the base to the window molding. If you goggle "How to make Roman Shades" lots of sites come up. They aren't difficult to do. Good luck.

joyce888 03-03-2015 11:44 AM

I haven't made one with a roller shade; I think it wouldn't fold correctly.

ckcowl 03-03-2015 11:51 AM

Roman shades and roller shade are 2 totally different things. There are lots of patterns, tutorials, instructions for making Roman shades. You can pick up the hardware/ supplies needed at most hardware stores. They are not difficult to make

humbird 03-03-2015 11:53 AM

Was just looking at the picture section. There is a photo that someone posted of her lovely Roman Shade. I think the tidal of of the post was "Roman Shade"

Doggramma 03-03-2015 12:17 PM

I've made several using regular metal curtain rods to hang them. If you do it that way be sure to securely attach the curtain rod. I screwed it into the wooden window frame. We had drafty windows at our other house and it helped block some of the draft.

blondeslave 03-03-2015 12:48 PM

I did think about making one for about a half hour one time but then I got over it...

NJ Quilter 03-03-2015 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by humbird (Post 7113528)
I have made Roman Shades. Still have them in my bedroom. I did not use a roller. You need a base to attach them to, ( board) then we attached the base to the window molding. If you goggle "How to make Roman Shades" lots of sites come up. They aren't difficult to do. Good luck.

This is how I have made them as well. Also using the tape with the little round guides helps them fold much better, imo.