Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Have you heard of this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/have-you-heard-t266658.html)

AZ Jane 06-21-2015 06:24 AM

Not sure what type of "receipt" you received but there are several types that have a charge.

Certified Mail
Return Receipt can be added to confirm delivery. Delivery information is available by hard copy or online. $1.85 extra or $1.35
Insured Mail
Provides coverage against loss or damage up to $5,000.
Fee based on value of item. Starts at $1.35
Signature Confirmation
Provides the date and time of delivery or attempted delivery and the name of the person who signed for the item. You can request a hard copy of the signature. Delivery information is available by hard copy, online, or by calling 1·800·222·1811. $1.90, $1.35 when you print Priority Mail labels from Click-N-Ship.

citruscountyquilter 06-21-2015 06:25 AM

I think there is confusion in the understanding of terminology. One person interpreted the term "receipt" as a slip of paper that confirmed that the package was paid for and sent. The post office probably meant the term "receipt" to mean confirmation that the package was received in which case there would be an extra charge because of the effort it takes to deliver and have someone sign for the receiving (receipt) of the package.

ManiacQuilter2 06-21-2015 06:49 AM

Yes, that is the way things are now a days. I didn't pay for a receipt when I returned a very bent cutting mat. I had pictures but JAF never received it. I opened a claim with American Express and finally got my refund. A lot of times when postage is paid for a return, I use PayPal for my shipping because a tracking number online is only 15 cents. At least it was. Haven't mailed anything recently.

tessagin 06-21-2015 07:13 AM

Missouri Star was paying for the postage no need for a receipt anyway. When I send anything with return paid postage, I take a photo and let the recipient know it's on it's way.

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom (Post 7233213)
I got this email from my girlfriend this morning. Have y'all heard of this? I hadn't.

Went to the post office this morning to return some fabric that had been sent to me from Missouri Star. It was the wrong fabric, so I called and they sent out a substitute right away and emailed a return, prepaid mailing label to return the wrong fabric.
That went smoothly but at the post office at 9am, when they opened, there were 16 people in line and one clerk. After waiting for 30 minutes, it was my turn. The clerk asked if I wanted a receipt, of course, I did. After punching some buttons, she says to me, that’ll be $1.35.
For what, I questioned.
Her response was a shocker. “We charge for receipts now.”
I declined to pay for a receipt and am still, an hour later, reliving the incident in my mind.

Did y’all know they charge for a receipt? Next you know they’ll be charging to walk in the front door and another fee for waiting in line. Shortly after that, it will catch on with other companies and services.

I just couldn’t believe this. How to you feel about it?

calla 06-21-2015 07:25 AM

Oh my, I didn't know that............I used to have MIC as my long distance carrier, yrs. ago, they charged $0.05 for the paper my bill was printed on.

donna13350 06-21-2015 07:40 AM

Anytime you have a pre-printed label, there is a tracking number on it. That is all the receipt you need. It is scanned when arriving at the P.O., and you can go on line and track it all the way to it's destination.
Also..you can go on line and put the tracking info in and have the mail carrier pick it up at your next delivery time(at no charge)..because I live in the boondox and can't see my mailbox from the house, I don't like to leave packages down by the road..there is an option for them to pick it up on your porch, or front door, too! Couldn't be easier. The carrier scans it at my porch and it's on it's way.

Bibliogirl 06-21-2015 10:47 AM

My eye doctor charges $25.00 to write a prescription for glasses. I think it unfair to charge like this.

QuiltingVagabond 06-21-2015 02:57 PM

Let's see... you pay $1.35 for a receipt and then the clerk asks "do you want a receipt for that?" :D:D:D LOL

Twisted Quilter 06-21-2015 03:21 PM

Wow, if I have to pay for a receipt I won't have money for the panhandlers sitting outside the door.

Battle Axe 06-22-2015 02:23 AM

You should charge them for having to stand in line.