Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Have you heard of this?

Have you heard of this?

I got this email from my girlfriend this morning. Have y'all heard of this? I hadn't.

Went to the post office this morning to return some fabric that had been sent to me from Missouri Star. It was the wrong fabric, so I called and they sent out a substitute right away and emailed a return, prepaid mailing label to return the wrong fabric.
    That went smoothly but at the post office at 9am, when they opened, there were 16 people in line and one clerk. After waiting for 30 minutes, it was my turn. The clerk asked if I wanted a receipt, of course, I did. After punching some buttons, she says to me, that’ll be $1.35.
    For what, I questioned.
    Her response was a shocker. “We charge for receipts now.”
    I declined to pay for a receipt and am still, an hour later, reliving the incident in my mind.

Did y’all know they charge for a receipt? Next you know they’ll be charging to walk in the front door and another fee for waiting in line. Shortly after that, it will catch on with other companies and services.

I just couldn’t believe this. How to you feel about it?

Blog Entries
    Unbelievable.

I understand that Missouri Star was paying for the return shipping, but you should not be charged for a receipt.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Power Poster
    I have never been charge for a receipt.

She may have been charged for "Proof of Deposit" - Certificate of Mailing - for $1.35.

Blog Entries
    my mouth is still hanging open!!!!
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    I needed a new driving licence I could go to the post office and get it with a price of £17. So along I went had photo taken that was what money was for. Then I was asked for £22.50 . Queried what it was for it was additional costt on by post office for using there facilities. I had no way of saying no as all form and photo had been done and in very small letters it says additional charges may be incurred.

so frustrating to have the additional cost especially as the cashier was training a newbie and explained everything to him, good job I was not in a rush.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I know when you mail a letter or package and want a return receipt there has always been a charge. When I was working in insurance we would have to send items with a proof of service - which was a statement that said it was placed in the US Mail on that date by the person that signed the statement. There was no charge because the statement was in the envelope - nothing for the post office to do.

I've never been charged for a receipt at the PO either. I mail oversize letters all the time and the hand me the receipt regardless of asking for one (which I would anyhow for tax purposes). No extra charge. Was she at a 'real' post office or one in a store/shopping center?

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I have never been charge for a receipt.

She may have been charged for "Proof of Deposit" - Certificate of Mailing - for $1.35.

I agree that this is what the charge was for. It would have been proof that she actually mailed the package back. From the post office's web site:

Certificate of Mailing

Have evidence that you send the item when you say you did. This official record shows the date your mail was presented to USPS for mailing.

Notes

Only available at your Post Office.
    Available only at the time of mailing.
    Don’t lose your certificate. The Postal Service® does not keep a copy.
    Use Form 3817 or Form 3877 only.
    Cost

$1.35 (Form 3817)

Blog Entries
    Never have been charged for just a receipt. Maybe the clerk used the wrong term as others have suggested. The English language gets us sometimes.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

No wonder the USPO is going broke!

Not sure what type of "receipt" you received but there are several types that have a charge.

Certified Mail
    Return Receipt can be added to confirm delivery. Delivery information is available by hard copy or online. $1.85 extra or $1.35
    Insured Mail
    Provides coverage against loss or damage up to $5,000.
    Fee based on value of item. Starts at $1.35
    Signature Confirmation
    Provides the date and time of delivery or attempted delivery and the name of the person who signed for the item. You can request a hard copy of the signature. Delivery information is available by hard copy, online, or by calling 1·800·222·1811. $1.90, $1.35 when you print Priority Mail labels from Click-N-Ship.
    Last edited by AZ Jane; 06-21-2015 at 06:27 AM.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I think there is confusion in the understanding of terminology. One person interpreted the term "receipt" as a slip of paper that confirmed that the package was paid for and sent. The post office probably meant the term "receipt" to mean confirmation that the package was received in which case there would be an extra charge because of the effort it takes to deliver and have someone sign for the receiving (receipt) of the package.

Yes, that is the way things are now a days. I didn't pay for a receipt when I returned a very bent cutting mat. I had pictures but JAF never received it. I opened a claim with American Express and finally got my refund. A lot of times when postage is paid for a return, I use PayPal for my shipping because a tracking number online is only 15 cents. At least it was. Haven't mailed anything recently.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Missouri Star was paying for the postage no need for a receipt anyway. When I send anything with return paid postage, I take a photo and let the recipient know it's on it's way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
    I got this email from my girlfriend this morning. Have y'all heard of this? I hadn't.

Went to the post office this morning to return some fabric that had been sent to me from Missouri Star. It was the wrong fabric, so I called and they sent out a substitute right away and emailed a return, prepaid mailing label to return the wrong fabric.
    That went smoothly but at the post office at 9am, when they opened, there were 16 people in line and one clerk. After waiting for 30 minutes, it was my turn. The clerk asked if I wanted a receipt, of course, I did. After punching some buttons, she says to me, that’ll be $1.35.
    For what, I questioned.
    Her response was a shocker. “We charge for receipts now.”
    I declined to pay for a receipt and am still, an hour later, reliving the incident in my mind.

Did y’all know they charge for a receipt? Next you know they’ll be charging to walk in the front door and another fee for waiting in line. Shortly after that, it will catch on with other companies and services.

I just couldn’t believe this. How to you feel about it?

Blog Entries
    Oh my, I didn't know that............I used to have MIC as my long distance carrier, yrs. ago, they charged $0.05 for the paper my bill was printed on.

Anytime you have a pre-printed label, there is a tracking number on it. That is all the receipt you need. It is scanned when arriving at the P.O., and you can go on line and track it all the way to it's destination.
    Also..you can go on line and put the tracking info in and have the mail carrier pick it up at your next delivery time(at no charge)..because I live in the boondox and can't see my mailbox from the house, I don't like to leave packages down by the road..there is an option for them to pick it up on your porch, or front door, too! Couldn't be easier. The carrier scans it at my porch and it's on it's way.

My eye doctor charges $25.00 to write a prescription for glasses. I think it unfair to charge like this.

Let's see... you pay $1.35 for a receipt and then the clerk asks "do you want a receipt for that?" LOL
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

Wow, if I have to pay for a receipt I won't have money for the panhandlers sitting outside the door.
    If you choose the behavior, you accept the consequences...Dr. Phil

Blog Entries
    You should charge them for having to stand in line.

Can't resist telling you this one about our PO over here: When we used to send telegrams, I wrote one out to my Grandmother telling her that I was going to drive up to her place to take her to the doctor on a certain date. The clerk then said, "Do you want it delivered?" I was a little gobsmacked and asked him what else would they do with it. He told me they usually telephone it through...it cost extra to deliver it! Absolute madness - if she had a phone I would have called her myself. Still laugh about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bibliogirl View Post
    My eye doctor charges $25.00 to write a prescription for glasses. I think it unfair to charge like this.
    Good heavens! I personally would be looking for a new eye doctor!
    Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

"What if you woke up today with only the things you had thanked God for yesterday?" ~ Michael Hyatt

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond View Post
    Let's see... you pay $1.35 for a receipt and then the clerk asks "do you want a receipt for that?" LOL
    Too funny, your comment, QuiltingVagabond brought to mind the Abbott and Costello, "Who's on First" a never ending skit! Unfortunately for Misty's Mom she's replaying the Post Office skit in her mind when she needs to be focused on that new LA!
    Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

"What if you woke up today with only the things you had thanked God for yesterday?" ~ Michael Hyatt

I feel sure that AZ Jane is right on about the receipts, and that the clerk used the wrong terminology. Our PO is closed on Saturdays which is inconvenient. If I place mail in my mailbox, it does not go out until the next day generally because the carrier does not get back to the PO in time for it to go out that day. If I get a package that's too large for my mailbox, I have to pick it up at the PO because I live .06 of a mile from the mailbox so they won't deliver to my house.

It seems like just recently the post office has made big changes. It takes more days in transit to mail anything. I think they've just given up on competing and figure we still need this service no matter what and just half heartedly get the job done. They have trouble getting people to even deliver our mail because it's only part-time......not what a job being a mailman used to be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast