Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: why does this happen?

why does this happen?

My laptop has a mind of its own.
    If I have a number of tabs open, it will often skip a tab and go to the next one or it will delete tab I'm using and bring up next one.
    Also, sometimes pages will automatically skip back to previous history....as if I had pressed the back button a few times.
    Then, the weirdest thing happened this morning. I had "The Inbox Jaunt" website open and was practicing doodles for FMQ, using a pen and thick pad. I was using the top sheet of the pad and had the pad laid on my keyboard. When I had finished, I could see the doodles on the monitor....faint images on the background. It was like they are embedded there...can't remove them...a bit distracting. I can see them now as I type this.
    I think my laptop is haunted! LOL.
    Anyone have any ideas about why this happens?

Blog Entries
    wow, that is spooky. never heard of that before
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I would reboot to start with. I have learned not to have more than 3 - 4 tabs open. You may want to delete some cookies also. Don't ask me how to delete, I have DH do it. LOL!!

Switch to a Mac!! ;o)

Thanks tessagin.
    I have rebooted and have deleted all cookies a number of times, as this has been happening a lot over the past few months.

Sounds like you need to call the Geek Squad. I have Windows 8.1 and sometimes I find that I have two windows open for same subject. Only one shows on the tab on top, but my icons on bottom show two internet pathways open (hard to explain what I mean.) I use chrome, so when I put the curser over the chrome icon, there are actually two "windows" (?) open. I guess somehow one gets hidden and so I open another. That second window will have the information from way back when, because I am updating in the new window above. Then as I close the window above, the below will open back up. It seems to happen when I am using the back button. If I do it too fast, or if I somehow click nearer the window tabs it will move the tabs or make them disappear. Did you trace the doodles from the screen to the paper? I know if you touch the screen for too long, it will leave a spot. You could take the battery out for a while and see if that might reset things. It won't hurt your computer, as long as you turn it off first.

Quote Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
    Sounds like you need to call the Geek Squad. I have Windows 8.1 and sometimes I find that I have two windows open for same subject. Only one shows on the tab on top, but my icons on bottom show two internet pathways open (hard to explain what I mean.) I use chrome, so when I put the curser over the chrome icon, there are actually two "windows" (?) open. I guess somehow one gets hidden and so I open another. That second window will have the information from way back when, because I am updating in the new window above. Then as I close the window above, the below will open back up. It seems to happen when I am using the back button. If I do it too fast, or if I somehow click nearer the window tabs it will move the tabs or make them disappear. Did you trace the doodles from the screen to the paper? I know if you touch the screen for too long, it will leave a spot. You could take the battery out for a while and see if that might reset things. It won't hurt your computer, as long as you turn it off first.
    Yes.....the moving of tabs and tabs disappearing and the double windows...all that happens too. It's like the touch pad is super sensitive.
    I did not trace the doodles from the screen...was just looking at screen and tracing on paper.

Just a thought. Open Control Panel, Programs and Updates. Sort by date installed. Remove the most recent ones.

Do a full scan with your security software to pick up any malware that slipped by. I have Kaspersky Security and it seems to work well. Hope this helps!

use google chrome. The only thing MSIE is good for is downloading google chrome

Blog Entries
    i'd forgotten about this forum http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/
    they answer computer questions! let us know if they help you
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Quote Originally Posted by sept97 View Post
    use google chrome. The only thing MSIE is good for is downloading google chrome
    Always use Google Chrome.

I always knew my computer has gremlins and now I see their relatives are alive and well everywhere. lol.

The same here. Asked my son and he showed me to look at the bottom right screen . Just before the volume control you see what looks like 4 squares. That is called windows 10. He said the company is coming out with this but instead of all at once they are doing it little by little and screwing up many peoples pc including his. He said they may have to rethink what they are doing as by now they are aware of what is happening to people.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
    Switch to a Mac!! ;o)
    Every time I read one of these, I thank God that I am dork enough to have chosen an imac for my first computer....hint....hint....hint....lol!
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Laptops are like Mother Nature. They do what they want. Have you checked for a virus?
    Jan

Yes, checked for a virus.
    Seems like it's just haunted!!LOL.

The super sensitive touch pad is a problem I have with my laptops. I never use the touch pad but I rest my wrists on either side of it because the desk top is much higher than the height of my elbows when I sit. Over time that has pressed the touchpad down a little and made it click when I was nowhere near touching it. All I do is roll my wrist the wrong way and something clicks on the touchpad. And most of the time that phantom click closes the tab I was on. No fun.

I have no idea how you got drawings saved onto the desktop wallpaper from your pen and paper doodle though. That is a new one to me. Or do you have a touch MONITOR as well and never knew? Which does not help much either but may explain why the two touchpads 'talk' to one another.
    Kenmore: 158.14001 (still seeking its perfect name), 158.17011 ("Enterprise")

Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    The super sensitive touch pad is a problem I have with my laptops. I never use the touch pad but I rest my wrists on either side of it because the desk top is much higher than the height of my elbows when I sit. Over time that has pressed the touchpad down a little and made it click when I was nowhere near touching it. All I do is roll my wrist the wrong way and something clicks on the touchpad. And most of the time that phantom click closes the tab I was on. No fun.

I have no idea how you got drawings saved onto the desktop wallpaper from your pen and paper doodle though. That is a new one to me. Or do you have a touch MONITOR as well and never knew? Which does not help much either but may explain why the two touchpads 'talk' to one another.
    That's it exactly. It's like a phantom click. I find that sometimes just with my hand hovering near the touch pad, the phantom click happens.
    No touch monitor but they did seem to 'talk' to one another.
    Spooky!