Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Have you noticed ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/have-you-noticed-t297557.html)

SillySusan 06-12-2018 03:53 AM

Somehow I can't make myself buy fabric online. I need to see it in person and feel it. On my computer, the colors of everything are not quite right. No, I prefer the old-time shops... Hancock's, Joann's, WalMart (imagine WM is old-time now.) And, groceries? I prefer to see the tomatoes and bananas before I buy them. I guess I'm just not modern. Sigh! :(

Geri B 06-12-2018 05:50 AM

In WM the other day, saw an employee with a special cart that had about 10 baskets with bags inside each...and she was holding some sort of hand held device....and apparently doing shopping for others. I asked her how this new thing was working out and she said it was going great! I can see the advantage for those who are unable to walk or get to the store because of illness or lack of transportation. I use my "trips" as my walking exercise...cruise the whole store practically, and yes, find bargains, sometimes..along the way! I only do online purchases, if there is no "place" I can find the article at........just me

djmat 06-12-2018 07:58 AM

Most employers only accept online job applications these days & only some include a window to download your resume. Hitting the bricks to find a job is a thing of the past, it's all online now. I find it all so impersonal.

leonf 06-12-2018 08:27 AM

I used to work retail. If a customer came into the store with money in their hands I would work really hard to make them happy. I went to my local newspaper and wanted to buy an on-line subscription with cash. No, I was told to contact a firm half a continent way via the net and they didn't even have a 'puter there I could use to do it. I refused to buy it.

cashs_mom 06-12-2018 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 8075049)
In my opinion - "change" does not always equal "progress/improvement"

I so agree with this. I try very hard to buy local and keep the local businesses operating, but when they eliminate my favorites brands, I buy online (and not with a smart phone).

sewverybusy1 06-12-2018 09:32 AM

Well I'm glad to see that I'm not the only frustrated shopper! Went to look at kitchen ranges- mostly big box only stores here. Anyway- 3 on display & was told- '"you have to go on line". Really??? I want to see in person all the features & a picture or reading doesn't always do it. Sorta describing how a food tastes to someone who has never had a bite of it before. Don't they realize that if every shopper 'goes on line' that their job is gone next week & the store a week after that??? Talk about blank looks.
I'll shut up now. Thanks for proving that I'm not alone in my thoughts.
sewverybusy1

SusieQOH 06-12-2018 10:32 AM

Yes, I've noticed this too.
Years ago Bold was my favorite laundry detergent. Haven't seen it in years. I remember I loved the scent.
I make my own laundry detergent and we really like it.
Can't find Bon Ami anywhere. That was my favorite scrubbing powder.
I do buy a lot online but not groceries but my husband loves to grocery shop and I hate it. We get along haha

grannie cheechee 06-12-2018 10:50 AM

Maybe buying some groceries on line would be okay, but I don't care for it. I can't order clothes or shoes on line because not all sizes are the same, and I don't want to have to keep returning.

annievee 06-12-2018 11:15 AM

My sis likes Cheer Detergent--she can not find it anywhere. Can buy on line WalMart if I buy $35, I think, and it is free shipping. Doesn't take long to gather $35 worth--ha ! My sis has allergic reaction to lots of detergent, etc. First time I sent her some, she said it was kinda awkward to get a package with Cheer in it--lol !

tranum 06-12-2018 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Eva Knight (Post 8075014)
Not only that you have to order so much on line, soon you will have to have a "smart phone" to buy anything.

Actually, I’ve only had a smart phone less than a year and I love it.