Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you noticed ?

Have you noticed ?

I needed laundry detergent & as I went down the aisle to locate my favorite brand ( a well known & popular name)... it was no longer there!! Went to several stores, including big box ones & was very surprised. The various available brands seem to come down to Tide, Gain & a few off brand ones. I could only get my preferred if I ordered & had it shipped to the store... What??????? Ship a gallon of detergent?? Don't think so!! Is this happening in your area with similar products???
    I know every company & its uncle is cutting back, but really!!!
    Guess I'm just a stick in the mud for wanting my tried, trusted & true product. Oh well- guess this is progress.
    sewverybusy1

Blog Entries
    Yes it’s “progress” & as such,nothing we can do about it. I expect the day to come when local stores,grocerys included...to be part of the “old days”.Malls are leading the way,more closing every day. Sears & Montgomery Wards are gone. JC Pennys looks to be next.
    People will order groceries,meds,everything on line.JMO

BTW,our Grdaughter is very up to date on this & orders at least 60-70% on line.
    Pat

yes i noticed it too, i needed a blade for my lawn mower went to lowes and home depot was told i had to order it online or they could order it for me,and it would be delivered to my home in 7-10 days, couple months ago i needed a battery for my computer a full charge lasted only 20 minutes,after a long wait in line at staples i was told to order that online, and there is a lot of things from joanns you can only order online, yes they call it progress but i'm too an ole stick in the mud when i pay for something i want it in my hand not wait 7-10 days sometimes more, to get it..your right thats progress
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way.
    Virginia Woolf

Now you can order your groceries from local stores, drive to Walmart or Kroger, and have them brought to your car. Do they realize their losses? They have eliminated "impulse" buying!! However, my neighbor is getting frail and this is such a convenience for her. What's next?

Not only that you have to order so much on line, soon you will have to have a "smart phone" to buy anything.

I had this issue buying dog food the other day. Gone seem to be the days of being able to buy plain old dog food! Everything is a 'specialty' blend. It shouldn't be this difficult!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
    Now you can order your groceries from local stores, drive to Walmart or Kroger, and have them brought to your car. Do they realize their losses? They have eliminated "impulse" buying!! However, my neighbor is getting frail and this is such a convenience for her. What's next?
    In our Meijer stores you can order groceries on your smart phone, they have people that go in and do the shopping from your list - then deliver it to your home. I guess the positive part is that it does employ some people.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, and remember how easy it use to be to buy a tube of toothpaste?

Power Poster
    In my opinion - "change" does not always equal "progress/improvement"

I simply cannot imagine ordering my groceries on line! I want to see and choose my own produce, compare prices on the different brands of crackers. And, I want the opportunity to change my mind about what I want to buy. I buy lots of things on line because of convenience or because the store doesn't have it in stock. No, I don't think I like the direction of some of these things.

Somehow I can't make myself buy fabric online. I need to see it in person and feel it. On my computer, the colors of everything are not quite right. No, I prefer the old-time shops... Hancock's, Joann's, WalMart (imagine WM is old-time now.) And, groceries? I prefer to see the tomatoes and bananas before I buy them. I guess I'm just not modern. Sigh!

In WM the other day, saw an employee with a special cart that had about 10 baskets with bags inside each...and she was holding some sort of hand held device....and apparently doing shopping for others. I asked her how this new thing was working out and she said it was going great! I can see the advantage for those who are unable to walk or get to the store because of illness or lack of transportation. I use my "trips" as my walking exercise...cruise the whole store practically, and yes, find bargains, sometimes..along the way! I only do online purchases, if there is no "place" I can find the article at........just me

Most employers only accept online job applications these days & only some include a window to download your resume. Hitting the bricks to find a job is a thing of the past, it's all online now. I find it all so impersonal.
    “Art is never finished, only abandoned.”
    ― Leonardo_da_Vinci

I used to work retail. If a customer came into the store with money in their hands I would work really hard to make them happy. I went to my local newspaper and wanted to buy an on-line subscription with cash. No, I was told to contact a firm half a continent way via the net and they didn't even have a 'puter there I could use to do it. I refused to buy it.
    "Sacrifices must be made." Otto Lilenthal

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    In my opinion - "change" does not always equal "progress/improvement"
    I so agree with this. I try very hard to buy local and keep the local businesses operating, but when they eliminate my favorites brands, I buy online (and not with a smart phone).
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Well I'm glad to see that I'm not the only frustrated shopper! Went to look at kitchen ranges- mostly big box only stores here. Anyway- 3 on display & was told- '"you have to go on line". Really??? I want to see in person all the features & a picture or reading doesn't always do it. Sorta describing how a food tastes to someone who has never had a bite of it before. Don't they realize that if every shopper 'goes on line' that their job is gone next week & the store a week after that??? Talk about blank looks.
    I'll shut up now. Thanks for proving that I'm not alone in my thoughts.
    sewverybusy1

Yes, I've noticed this too.
    Years ago Bold was my favorite laundry detergent. Haven't seen it in years. I remember I loved the scent.
    I make my own laundry detergent and we really like it.
    Can't find Bon Ami anywhere. That was my favorite scrubbing powder.
    I do buy a lot online but not groceries but my husband loves to grocery shop and I hate it. We get along haha

Maybe buying some groceries on line would be okay, but I don't care for it. I can't order clothes or shoes on line because not all sizes are the same, and I don't want to have to keep returning.
    Love to quilt and play with the great grandkids

Blog Entries
    My sis likes Cheer Detergent--she can not find it anywhere. Can buy on line WalMart if I buy $35, I think, and it is free shipping. Doesn't take long to gather $35 worth--ha ! My sis has allergic reaction to lots of detergent, etc. First time I sent her some, she said it was kinda awkward to get a package with Cheer in it--lol !

Quote Originally Posted by Eva Knight View Post
    Not only that you have to order so much on line, soon you will have to have a "smart phone" to buy anything.
    Actually, I’ve only had a smart phone less than a year and I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
    Yeah, and remember how easy it use to be to buy a tube of toothpaste?
    toothpaste buying is my “go to” example of madness !! There are so many formulas and brands it’s mind boggling to me. I’m in favor of making things simpler with everything. The European stores I’ve been in are small and simple. I love it.

even when there were 25 different brands of laundry detergent, most were made by just two companies. I was in Walmart and could not find any unscented detergent except for the most expensive, Tide. Went to my grocery store and got some at a good price, their house brand.

Oh I am old Bon Ami reminds me of "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken."
    "Sacrifices must be made." Otto Lilenthal

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    In WM the other day, saw an employee with a special cart that had about 10 baskets with bags inside each...and she was holding some sort of hand held device....and apparently doing shopping for others. I asked her how this new thing was working out and she said it was going great! I can see the advantage for those who are unable to walk or get to the store because of illness or lack of transportation. I use my "trips" as my walking exercise...cruise the whole store practically, and yes, find bargains, sometimes..along the way! I only do online purchases, if there is no "place" I can find the article at........just me
    It's called "Scan & Go". They are trying it in over 150 Wal-Mart's. You can use the store handheld device or your Smart phone with a downloaded app. You scan your groceries, produce, etc & place them in the provided brown bags. Then pay using your phone. Supposed to save you time. However if they do this for all shopping & have no check outs jobs will be lost. We even refuse to use the self check outs, because they took jobs.

As far as items no longer available...yes many are now missing from store shelves & you can only buy them on line. I so hate this. I like to pick & choose the items I place in my cart & I sure wouldn't want anyone picking out my produce! Bananas, tomatoes, melons, lettuce, etc. all need to be carefully checked before placed in your cart. I can imagine a store needing to unload their stock, so you end up with fruits & veggies that may have one good day left. No thanks!

Think about this too.....if the items you buy on line are not what you expect, or don't fit, then you end up paying to send them back only to do it again & again & again. So much for saving money buying on line. The business will save tons tho.

The Malls put the Mom & Pop stores out of business, now the internet is putting the Malls out of business. In my area we pretty much have Wal-Mart, Sam's Club & Lowe's left & that's it. Sears, K-Mart, Bon Ton, Montgomery Ward, Macy's, etc. are all gone.

As long as they continue to sell coldwater Tide I'm good. All I have used for years.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast