Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Have you noticed ?

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eva Knight View Post
    Not only that you have to order so much on line, soon you will have to have a "smart phone" to buy anything.
    Yes! This is what worries me the most. I've been surprisingly accepting of and good at technology. But I do use a small flip phone with no data plan, preferring to use my laptop for internet things. After spending 6 months with my daughter and family in 2017, I really saw how much I am missing out by not using a smart phone. But I can not afford to upgrade as Verizon is the best/only provider of cell service in my rural area. Maybe in another year.....
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Yep, I've noticed it, too. Seems like every time I find a product that I really, really love, they either stop carrying it in stores, or the manufacturer discontinues it completely. Aahhh!
    My SewCozy Website: https://www.lisaandrobert.com/

Geri b, my feelings as well so you are not alone!
    Charlie DiSante

Maybe all this buying on line will blow itself out and we will go back to simpler times. I can dream anyway.

Blog Entries
    This whole thing has me confused as I don't even have a smart phone as I do not know how to ue one but this is why Amazon is winning when I can't find something Amazon has it I wanted a simple clothes hamper could not find one any place so Amazon wins again

Feather3- surprised you still have a SAMs club....most have just closed here! And lowes are few and far between!

Statesville, NC formerly Orlando, FL and surrounding area
    Quote Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
    I simply cannot imagine ordering my groceries on line! I want to see and choose my own produce, compare prices on the different brands of crackers. And, I want the opportunity to change my mind about what I want to buy. I buy lots of things on line because of convenience or because the store doesn't have it in stock. No, I don't think I like the direction of some of these things.

I feel the same way. I don't want someone else picking my produce or meat.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

I am older (83) and order bulky items on line. Saves me from having to lug them in from the car. Saving my strength for fabric shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    Feather3- surprised you still have a SAMs club....most have just closed here! And lowes are few and far between!
    As I said....Wal-Mart, Sam's Club & Lowe's are pretty much all we have here. No competition.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grannie cheechee View Post
    Maybe buying some groceries on line would be okay, but I don't care for it. I can't order clothes or shoes on line because not all sizes are the same, and I don't want to have to keep returning.
    I am with you. Twice in my life, I have tried to buy clothing without trying them on first, once online, once from a catalog. Both times I had to return them, and pay “restocking fees”. I will not order any piece of clothing online. I am long in the body and short in the legs. My legs are so short that what is sold as “capris” look like “high waters” on me.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

OMG, I never thought I would feel like the young, progressive one in the bunch at 72. I love my smartphone! I love Amazon! I would totally trust someone else to pick out my fruit, because if it isn't good then I'll send it back. (Actually I do my grocery shopping in person, but I wouldn't mind having someone else do it. I do draw the line at having someone else come into my house and put it in my refrigerator, though.) I buy almost all my quilting supplies, including fabric, online. I seldom go to any store in person except for Costco, Home Depot, and Walmart, and if what I want is available online I will order it and let someone else deliver it to my door. But I've never been much of a shopper. I find that the multitude of online reviews and youtube videos are far superior to that salesperson who might (or might not) be able to steer me toward the right product, or try to tell me how to use it. If I have a question about just about anything, I can ask google and get an answer. I only write a check when there's no other way to pay. Online banking and credit cards are so much more convenient, and they provide a paper trail without my having to write everything down and balance a checkbook. I pick out my doctors, dentist, and tradesmen online. I read book reviews online, read books on Kindle when possible... I love the way the internet has evolved to provide such rich information and shopping opportunities.

However, I don't like the way social media is taking the place of real world interactions. I choose not to use twitter, facebook, snapchat, etc. Email is more like letter writing, without the long wait for a response, so I do like that. I don't bury my nose in my smartphone when there are real people around that I could talk to instead. I think kids should play less with video games and more with each other. I prefer to use a real computer because I'm too fat-fingered to do all that typing on my smartphone. (Someone needs to solve that problem.) Overall, I do like the progress I'm seeing.

I have used All Free and Clear Stain Lifter for years. Now I use the pod form of it. I can find it in about every store so far. Honestly the brand makes no difference if you don't get filthy dirty or greasy. I like Member's Mark pods too. (made by Tide) I buy either one.

I will support local businesses if they have what I want, not what they want me to buy. I hear the words no we don't have that product then I'm out of there. I shop online more then in physical stores. Saves me time and money.
    Last edited by Onebyone; 06-13-2018 at 11:01 AM.
    deliberately under-educated

I love shopping on line too. The first time I had a bolt of batting delivered to the house I was sold on buying it that way forever now!

Tried like crazy to get my mother to try grocery shopping on line - she did not drive and a later in life had knee pains. But she wouldn't even try.

A friend of mine and her DH had that horrible flu at the same time - they used the on line food delivery - said it was the the best thing for them. They had a variety of items delivered and it helped a lot.

It's annoying to have a favorite item disappear - my pat answer is, "Must have caused cancer" because for a long time that was the reason given. (But I use it when it's a favorite tv program that's taken off the air, too.) My DH has a uniform he was to wear for work which has a dress shirt so I wanted some WISK to use on the collar - he went all over town looking for it for me - so I went on line and found it had just changed its name. I prefer the fragrance free items because the different smells combined give me headaches.
    Last edited by quiltingcandy; 06-13-2018 at 11:53 AM.

Blog Entries
    We have Amazon Prime, and are quite spoiled with it. Saves so much time! We order all kinds of things. The one that surprised me was a Lysol product for removing smells from laundry. It works! Supposedly it was also available at WalMart, so we trekked over there...nope! So off to Amazon Prime and had it in two days. I have not ordered fabric from Prime, but do order it over the internet. It is great to find things quickly and not have to go all over town to find it. Gas saved can by that wonderful fabric!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Yes, all the time anymore. I hate to say this but over the last 20 yrs we've lost all kinds of "normal" products because they don't sell in large quantities. They only want to carry what they make money on. Our Von's grocery chain was bought out by Safeway some years ago. Our variety of choises are going away every week.
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

Quote Originally Posted by grannie cheechee View Post
    Maybe buying some groceries on line would be okay, but I don't care for it. I can't order clothes or shoes on line because not all sizes are the same, and I don't want to have to keep returning.
    I don't really like buying anything on line. I want to look, feel, try on and bargain shop!!!! How much is it costing us for shipping? Free shipping my foot. The consumer is paying somewhere. Colors and textures show up a lot different on line than in person. I do not like this trend that is called progress. mho.

Blog Entries
    The problem with this is the shipping charges. Even Amazon's charges are bad, and they will get worse now that Pres. Trump is screaming about Amazon 'taking advantage' of the post office.

I am a big Amazon shopper and have no problem buying fabric online - Hancock's of Paducah sales are fantastic. I was surprised Amazon bought Fabric.com, but it meant I could get a fabric I needed with no shipping. I shop for all my essential oils online, too. No really good ones are available locally. My current smartphone and I are not friends. The last one I had - the Verizon Straight Talk my son purchased at WalMart was great. By the way, I am a Cheer user and haven't been able to find it this week. Amazon?

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Yes! This is what worries me the most. I've been surprisingly accepting of and good at technology. But I do use a small flip phone with no data plan, preferring to use my laptop for internet things. After spending 6 months with my daughter and family in 2017, I really saw how much I am missing out by not using a smart phone. But I can not afford to upgrade as Verizon is the best/only provider of cell service in my rural area. Maybe in another year.....
    Have you checked Consumer Cellular. It seems when I compared their coverage map with the Verizon map the coverage was quite similar. Consumer Cellular is very reasonable rates too.
    Sally

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthiesRetreat3 View Post
    The problem with this is the shipping charges. Even Amazon's charges are bad, and they will get worse now that Pres. Trump is screaming about Amazon 'taking advantage' of the post office.
    I just talked with our postal carrier a couple of weeks ago about this issue. We have the largest mailbox allowed by the United States Postal Service. Due to sudden rain squalls in our area, the mail carrier brings Amazon boxes to our house and puts them on the back carport instead of leaving them on top of the mailbox. He said Amazon boxes are made just large enough to NOT fit into the mailboxes...by one or two inches. Well, he should know. If Amazon wants to play with the post office, they could help a bit by making the boxes a standard size that would fit in the mailboxes. I am a Prime customer, but this information has me rethinking things. Probably I will stay with Prime for many reasons, but it would be nice if they would adjust their business practices to help a bit.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I really like shopping online. I can check prices on different sites and just enjoy the process. Also I hate to shop so that's part of it.
    I find Amazon Prime a good deal for us. Haven't bought fabric there yet but I've heard it's good. They sell just about anything you could ever want.
    Clothing and shoes can be very tricky for me to buy online. But if I get free returns I will buy something.

I am not a fan of Amazon; if I can get it anywhere else, I do. I do not like Wal Mart self check out counter cashier lines either because automation is taking over too many jobs...I want a live person to talk to as I check out. Amazon does not publish a number that you can call and talk to a person on the other end of the call. Nor can you contact them if there is a problem....they have grown too big for their britches in my opinion. I like see the product, handle it, and choose what I want. Yes, I am a senior citizen of 76 years old with a phone smarter than I am. And it makes a mistake or two, because a human wrote the program for it...and the same with my computer. Two out of three of our children have computer programing degrees and work out our problems we have...by remote devices.

I have enjoyed reading everyone's comments. Whisk was my favorite until it disappeared from our stores shelf. Many things are, I find.

I depend on online shopping due to health issues unable to go to the shops. I miss ivory soap flakes for handwashing. I buy quilt fabric online from Equilter and all is good quality been buying from them many years.

QuiltingNinaSue- you can contact Amazon if there is a problem. I've done online chat with them and they were very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by coopah View Post
    I just talked with our postal carrier a couple of weeks ago about this issue. We have the largest mailbox allowed by the United States Postal Service. Due to sudden rain squalls in our area, the mail carrier brings Amazon boxes to our house and puts them on the back carport instead of leaving them on top of the mailbox. He said Amazon boxes are made just large enough to NOT fit into the mailboxes...by one or two inches. Well, he should know. If Amazon wants to play with the post office, they could help a bit by making the boxes a standard size that would fit in the mailboxes. I am a Prime customer, but this information has me rethinking things. Probably I will stay with Prime for many reasons, but it would be nice if they would adjust their business practices to help a bit.
    I don't see an Amazon box conspiracy. I've been saving the smaller ones for an epic ebay fling There are at least 10 different sizes there and I've seen many others. Guessing that the pickers choose the best size box for the least amount of damage and off the products go.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast