Have you noticed ?

Old 06-13-2018, 06:03 AM

Feather3- surprised you still have a SAMs club....most have just closed here! And lowes are few and far between!
Old 06-13-2018, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
I simply cannot imagine ordering my groceries on line! I want to see and choose my own produce, compare prices on the different brands of crackers. And, I want the opportunity to change my mind about what I want to buy. I buy lots of things on line because of convenience or because the store doesn't have it in stock. No, I don't think I like the direction of some of these things.

I feel the same way. I don't want someone else picking my produce or meat.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:29 AM

I am older (83) and order bulky items on line. Saves me from having to lug them in from the car. Saving my strength for fabric shopping.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Feather3- surprised you still have a SAMs club....most have just closed here! And lowes are few and far between!
As I said....Wal-Mart, Sam's Club & Lowe's are pretty much all we have here. No competition.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by grannie cheechee View Post
Maybe buying some groceries on line would be okay, but I don't care for it. I can't order clothes or shoes on line because not all sizes are the same, and I don't want to have to keep returning.
I am with you. Twice in my life, I have tried to buy clothing without trying them on first, once online, once from a catalog. Both times I had to return them, and pay “restocking fees”. I will not order any piece of clothing online. I am long in the body and short in the legs. My legs are so short that what is sold as “capris” look like “high waters” on me.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:36 AM
Power Poster

OMG, I never thought I would feel like the young, progressive one in the bunch at 72. I love my smartphone! I love Amazon! I would totally trust someone else to pick out my fruit, because if it isn't good then I'll send it back. (Actually I do my grocery shopping in person, but I wouldn't mind having someone else do it. I do draw the line at having someone else come into my house and put it in my refrigerator, though.) I buy almost all my quilting supplies, including fabric, online. I seldom go to any store in person except for Costco, Home Depot, and Walmart, and if what I want is available online I will order it and let someone else deliver it to my door. But I've never been much of a shopper. I find that the multitude of online reviews and youtube videos are far superior to that salesperson who might (or might not) be able to steer me toward the right product, or try to tell me how to use it. If I have a question about just about anything, I can ask google and get an answer. I only write a check when there's no other way to pay. Online banking and credit cards are so much more convenient, and they provide a paper trail without my having to write everything down and balance a checkbook. I pick out my doctors, dentist, and tradesmen online. I read book reviews online, read books on Kindle when possible... I love the way the internet has evolved to provide such rich information and shopping opportunities.

However, I don't like the way social media is taking the place of real world interactions. I choose not to use twitter, facebook, snapchat, etc. Email is more like letter writing, without the long wait for a response, so I do like that. I don't bury my nose in my smartphone when there are real people around that I could talk to instead. I think kids should play less with video games and more with each other. I prefer to use a real computer because I'm too fat-fingered to do all that typing on my smartphone. (Someone needs to solve that problem.) Overall, I do like the progress I'm seeing.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:50 AM
Power Poster

I have used All Free and Clear Stain Lifter for years. Now I use the pod form of it. I can find it in about every store so far. Honestly the brand makes no difference if you don't get filthy dirty or greasy. I like Member's Mark pods too. (made by Tide) I buy either one.

I will support local businesses if they have what I want, not what they want me to buy. I hear the words no we don't have that product then I'm out of there. I shop online more then in physical stores. Saves me time and money.

Last edited by Onebyone; 06-13-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:39 AM

I love shopping on line too. The first time I had a bolt of batting delivered to the house I was sold on buying it that way forever now!

Tried like crazy to get my mother to try grocery shopping on line - she did not drive and a later in life had knee pains. But she wouldn't even try.

A friend of mine and her DH had that horrible flu at the same time - they used the on line food delivery - said it was the the best thing for them. They had a variety of items delivered and it helped a lot.

It's annoying to have a favorite item disappear - my pat answer is, "Must have caused cancer" because for a long time that was the reason given. (But I use it when it's a favorite tv program that's taken off the air, too.) My DH has a uniform he was to wear for work which has a dress shirt so I wanted some WISK to use on the collar - he went all over town looking for it for me - so I went on line and found it had just changed its name. I prefer the fragrance free items because the different smells combined give me headaches.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 06-13-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:09 PM

We have Amazon Prime, and are quite spoiled with it. Saves so much time! We order all kinds of things. The one that surprised me was a Lysol product for removing smells from laundry. It works! Supposedly it was also available at WalMart, so we trekked over there...nope! So off to Amazon Prime and had it in two days. I have not ordered fabric from Prime, but do order it over the internet. It is great to find things quickly and not have to go all over town to find it. Gas saved can by that wonderful fabric!
Old 06-14-2018, 09:53 AM

Yes, all the time anymore. I hate to say this but over the last 20 yrs we've lost all kinds of "normal" products because they don't sell in large quantities. They only want to carry what they make money on. Our Von's grocery chain was bought out by Safeway some years ago. Our variety of choises are going away every week.