Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Heat Wave (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/heat-wave-t321299.html)

aashley333 08-11-2023 05:24 AM

My mom's A/C quit working! The precious repairmen showed within 2 hours, without a "service order" even. He said don't worry about bill, they would send one! Thankfully, it was only the thermostat! He replaced it quickly, and viola!

Barb in Louisiana 08-11-2023 06:39 AM

I'm in Southeastern Louisiana. This is a hot year for sure. I am a member of the stay in the ac as much as possible. Years ago, our central ac went out and it was going to take 4 weeks to get the part in. There were none to be found anywhere in the USA. My husband went out that night and bought 2 new window ac's. One for our den area and one for our kitchen/dining. We already had a window unit in the main bedroom because of his need to sleep during the day for the night shifts that he used to work. These 3 units kept most of the house cool. The rest was tolerable. We left them in place when our whole house unit was fixed and now, when we have hurricanes, we just make sure we have fuel for the generator and when the electricity goes out, and it always does, we turn on the units when we are using the rooms. Ironically the main ac outage was a blessing in disguise for us. Prior to a hurricane coming, we round up all the multiplugs and extension cords so we can manage our loads without killing the generator. Life is good!

Onebyone 08-11-2023 07:12 AM

Everyone in our neighborhood have whole house generators. Hard to tell when power is out. LOL

toogie 08-11-2023 08:45 AM

God is good!
Our unit went out last year so for$6,000 we are cool as long as we don’t stay out in this heat. Yesterday at my quilting group we had to call an ambulance for one of our friends. She is a cancer patient and she said earlier yesterday that she was so hot, even though I found it was a little chilly in the church’s AC. About an hour later, I happened to notice that she had one arm over the side of the triple stainless steel sinks in the kitchen, hanging on to try to keep from falling. We sew in the dining area and have use of the open kitchen area, too. I starting hurrying to her but with my bad back I couldn’t hold her or lie her down by myself. I started shouting for help. It didn’t take one our ladies long and together we eased her to the floor. The ambulance and her son was called to transport her to the hospital. Son called me last night. She was feeling better after some IV fluids.

Quiltwoman44 08-11-2023 01:11 PM

It's 103F here today and the electric company just sent a notice not to use electricity too much in late afternoon into evenings.

toogie 08-11-2023 04:37 PM

104 degrees here today and I don't know what the index is. I sent my grandson a text telling him he and the guys that work in this heat are in my prayers. I don't know how they stand it.

cashs_mom 08-11-2023 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana (Post 8612494)
I'm in Southeastern Louisiana. This is a hot year for sure. I am a member of the stay in the ac as much as possible. Years ago, our central ac went out and it was going to take 4 weeks to get the part in. There were none to be found anywhere in the USA. My husband went out that night and bought 2 new window ac's. One for our den area and one for our kitchen/dining. We already had a window unit in the main bedroom because of his need to sleep during the day for the night shifts that he used to work. These 3 units kept most of the house cool. The rest was tolerable. We left them in place when our whole house unit was fixed and now, when we have hurricanes, we just make sure we have fuel for the generator and when the electricity goes out, and it always does, we turn on the units when we are using the rooms. Ironically the main ac outage was a blessing in disguise for us. Prior to a hurricane coming, we round up all the multiplugs and extension cords so we can manage our loads without killing the generator. Life is good!

Smart! We have 2 central air units. One for the upstairs and one for the downstairs. Then 10 years or so ago, we put a mini split in the den where we watch TV. It's upstairs with a western exposure and at the end of a long run of duct. We could never keep that room cool. Now its stays cool without even turning the central a/c down.

A few years ago, my husband bought a portable generator and we got a window a/c for the bedroom that the generator will run. We're pretty well set for hurricane season, too!

Lady Diana 08-12-2023 06:29 AM

Today in North Texas. We're facing a107 to 112 degrees.. Unbelievable. Good day for staying in and quilting.

aashley333 08-13-2023 04:07 AM

Another thing that helps tremendously is installing window shutters. We had plantation shutters installed last year, and the house is much cooler in summers. Plus, they are pretty.

peaceandjoy 08-14-2023 06:02 AM

I certainly don't like winter, but now that I'm retired and can choose whether or not to go out, I don't mind it quite as much. Now my complaint is that it's so dark and dreary. I like colors other than brown, gray and white.

As 2 of our grandsons were visiting our winter home in FL, I went down for a week. Ugh. I went to the pool a couple of times and the beach (Gulf side) across the street a couple of times, but other than that, stayed in unless going to/from the car. Most days, it was 94° with very high humidity, and "cooled down" to around 83° at night. It was like being here in the winter - I just stayed inside. Nobody else I'd have gone for except our grandsons. We did it many times when our girls were younger and couldn't be gone over a week without missing school.

There are people who opt not to use AC for various reasons. I've heard that you acclimate to it, but I'm not convinced.

I want 70's with low humidity year round.