Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Help!!!!!! Need help with embroidery machine tension (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/help-need-help-embroidery-machine-tension-t208048.html)

Robinlee 12-09-2012 03:52 PM

Help!!!!!! Need help with embroidery machine tension

1 Attachment(s)
I am a 4 month old new owner of a pfaff creative vision.......I know there is quite a few of us quilters that embroidery. I am having a tension problem... I have re-threaded, replaced bobbin, changed needles. Followed the troubleshooting stuff, talked to my rep at the sewing machine shop. Gone through the steps to NO avail. Now I am enlisting your help.
The photo is the back of a dish towel. The top is a little better. Working on snowflakes. Any suggestions would be great. The shop is over an hour away... And today is Sunday. Would like to get Christmas stuff done but I've been messing with this for 2 weekends now. I've tighten and loosen bobbin, needle tension, cleaned bobbin area. Even just tried tension in sewing mode and follow direction in pfaff booklet to set. My serger is less of a problem then this machine....sew frustrated!!!

JanetM 12-09-2012 05:05 PM

It appears that you have a tension problem. I know you have tried rethreading, but stay with me and try rethreading one more time. Be sure that your presser foot is UP. This allows your thread to seat properly in the tension disks. Also, according to Kevin Conley (Pfaff educator)hold onto the thread at the spool as you thread the machine with your left hand, holding the thread taut until you reach the needle threader. I hope this solves your problem.

Ginaky 12-09-2012 05:11 PM

And also make sure you put the pressure foot DOWN when you are ready to stitch.

Tartan 12-09-2012 05:17 PM

I do not own an embroidery machine so I am going to suggest what I do when I have a tension problem on a certain quilt sandwich, try a different sample. If the embroidery stitches out fine on regular cotton with stabilizer, than you will know it is the dish towel that is the problem.

mermaid 12-10-2012 04:30 AM

Definitely looks like presser foot lever is not down! Or not threaded thru tensions correctly. Last option is design--try another. Some designs are not well digitized or get corrupted. If the problem is on the bottom, then the REAL problem is on top.

romanojg 12-10-2012 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ginaky (Post 5709329)
And also make sure you put the pressure foot DOWN when you are ready to stitch.

If the Phaff is like the Vikings (make by same company now) this won't be necessary. When you tell Viking to start it lowers what it needs and you don't have to worry about that. That was one of the features missing from the Brother machine that I took a class with. You had to lower the presser foot in order to start. This might seem like a small thing but it saves time and frustration.

Patti25314 12-10-2012 12:31 PM

If none of the above works, try cleaning out the bobbin and under the stitch plate. Then clean the hook and make sure it is smooth. Does your bobbin case have a pig tail? I'm not familiar with your machine.

ozzyinch 08-07-2017 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Robinlee (Post 5709056)
I am a 4 month old new owner of a pfaff creative vision.......I know there is quite a few of us quilters that embroidery. I am having a tension problem... I have re-threaded, replaced bobbin, changed needles. Followed the troubleshooting stuff, talked to my rep at the sewing machine shop. Gone through the steps to NO avail. Now I am enlisting your help.
The photo is the back of a dish towel. The top is a little better. Working on snowflakes. Any suggestions would be great. The shop is over an hour away... And today is Sunday. Would like to get Christmas stuff done but I've been messing with this for 2 weekends now. I've tighten and loosen bobbin, needle tension, cleaned bobbin area. Even just tried tension in sewing mode and follow direction in pfaff booklet to set. My serger is less of a problem then this machine....sew frustrated!!!

Hi there, did you ever get a solution?? I have a similar problem and want to throw my machine out the window.

QuiltnNan 08-07-2017 02:31 AM

so sorry you are having this problem. i don't have that machine, so can't help you beyond what was previously posted

mermaid 08-07-2017 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by ozzyinch (Post 7881393)
Hi there, did you ever get a solution?? I have a similar problem and want to throw my machine out the window.

I don't think any of us mentioned the bobbin--is it in correctly with the thread coming off in the right direction? Most importantly, have you pulled the bobbin thread back thru it's tension correctly? I have Bros and Babylock, and I seem to remember having a similar prob once because the bobbin was in the wrong way.