Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Help to recycle Folger Coffee Container (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/help-recycle-folger-coffee-container-t171375.html)

Ramona Byrd 12-15-2011 08:37 AM

Coffee Cans

I have a bunch of the old tin ones in the garage. For my late DH I had separated all his nails and put them
in their own container. On the front I'd taped a 3x5 card, and on the card I'd then taped a sample nail. He
used to be so frustrated having to look in each one for that special nail.
Now I use the plastic ones the same way to identify the contents. Searching for whatevers also frustrates ME!
Anything can go in them, and you can glue pretty coverings on them. Spare writing pens that migrate from
room to room (one cat loves to carry them around). Anything that will fit in them and let the lid go on.
Old keys..they keep turning up and now I have a can almost full of them..and no idea of what they go to or did.
Not pretty enough to put on display, can't force myself to toss them.

jkrzemi 12-19-2011 08:20 PM

I use the lids to cover small bowls in the microwave. Works wonderful

grandmaquilter 12-19-2011 08:28 PM

I've seen the plastic coffee containers made into bird feeders, the lid was left on the container, 3 openings around the sides evenly spaced about 2 inches from the top and 2 inches from the bottom of the container and small holes in the upper outside with 3 or 4 stands of wire brought up and into a loop to be used for hanging.

Painiacs 12-19-2011 09:02 PM

We do keep 2 in our vehicle I with waterproof candles and matches. The other empty for just in case.

jojo47 12-26-2011 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt (Post 4763000)
You can spray paint them. cut a small hole in the front and make bird houses..

Good idea! Glue the lid on...maybe a few holes punched on the underside for ventilation?

jojo47 12-26-2011 09:23 AM

Oops! didn't see the previous post about the birdhouses!

I've also kept the larger ones to use as lunch buckets when my guys are in the field in spring and summer....can make sandwiches to take along...have a small ice pack to put in the bottom to keep things cool...holds a nice-sized lunch!

QUILTNMO 12-26-2011 10:31 AM

they make great button boxes

raedar63 12-29-2011 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom (Post 4764530)
I pour salt into them for use during the winter...I have a can at each door, so that I can sprinkle the salt on the sidewalk ice to make it go away...
It sure beats trying to lug the big 30# bag of salt to sprinkle on the sidewalks.

awesome idea!

raedar63 12-29-2011 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by 0tis (Post 4762848)
Are these the plastic tubs? I don't think they make tin anymore at least in my part of the country. I use the plastic ones for catch-all buckets - sometimes I use them for grease buckets - sometimes - compost buckets. I am sure there are thousands of ways to recycle them. I keep most of mine too.

Store brand or generic coffee still comes in the metal cans :)