Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Help to recycle Folger Coffee Container

Blog Entries

Help to recycle Folger Coffee Container

Would love to rack your brains to see what ideas we can come up with to recyle the container the Folger Coffee comes in. I just hate throwing them away and can not come up with a good use for them. Help

Are these the plastic tubs? I don't think they make tin anymore at least in my part of the country. I use the plastic ones for catch-all buckets - sometimes I use them for grease buckets - sometimes - compost buckets. I am sure there are thousands of ways to recycle them. I keep most of mine too.

If they are the plastic ones, I am looking for six (1 to 2 lbs size)to do a craft project! I do not drink coffee!

Blog Entries
    Yes they are the plastic tubs and I have the 48 oz size Was thinking more of what to make out of them for gifts etc.

I never buy the coffee that comes in the plastic tubs, but they make great canisters for storing grains, flour, sugar, etc that you need to keep bug free and mouse proof.

I bet they also would be good for a twine/string holder - punch a hole in the lid.

If you have a lot you could offer them on Freecycle.

You could cover them with cute fabric so kids can fill them with small toys little cars or legos that type of thing to help organize their rooms' I have a bunch I use to freeze water in for the cooler when we go camping.

Blog Entries
    I keep all kind of sewing scrapbooking and beading supplies in mine the one i keep scrapbooking scissors in I stuffed the bottom half full so I could see at a glance which scissors I want

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Hi all, I put snacks for my husband in them and they go by his chair. They can be covered in fabric and used in a number of ways. I also put scissors in one and use another for scraps. I don't drink coffee husband drinks enough for both of us. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

Blog Entries
    Love the ideas! Thanks! If u live in cold country keep a small one in the trunk wit water proof candles and matches. Another for a small container of crackers like peanut butter ones
    And one in case your in a blizzard and need a bathroom!

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    You can spray paint them. cut a small hole in the front and make bird houses..

Decorate them and use to gift baked goods at christmas. Store cut to size (a la Bonnie Hunter) quilt scraps, one can full of asst. 2" squares is enough to make a baby size quilt. Sand buckets for kids. Keep toilet paper dry when you go camping.

Blog Entries
    The tin ones we put wax paper in and then fugde. It's wonderful. Not a coffee drinker either have to get them from Brother in law.
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

Blog Entries
    I salvaged some of them from guild meetings and I used them to hold paint. They make great portable disposable paint containers. It was easy to hold the container when doing the edge painting around the molding around the ceiling and base boards. I quilt saving all the nifty containers. It got where I had more saved stuff then reasons to save it! Now when I have an empty neat container I take it to guild. Someone will have a use for it. The Taster's Choice instant coffee container is worth buying just for the container. No lid to have to take off, it pops up with a push and closes with a push. We use them as thread/trim catchers for guild tables.
    Last edited by BellaBoo; 12-08-2011 at 11:38 AM.
    Got fabric?

Power Poster
    Would they work to do the bucket tool holder? I've seen them done on a mug and a small bucket. Are your container the right size for something similar? Look on www.sewmanyways.com blogspot and see if they have been in a tool time tuesday tutorial.

Banned
    I have 2 large ones next to my cutting table
    I cut smaller scraps into 2" or 1 1/2" squares. Have taped a cut square on each cannister so I don't toss the squares into the wrong one.

Blog Entries
    I've used the 1/2 lb can like this for years! Fits nicely right by my machine. Only supposed to be one pic! Useful for thread and scraps.

Name:  CoffeeCan.gif
Views: 556
Size:  76.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Blog Entries
    Well, our lab has decided they make really good dog toys! She loves the handle grip part on the large can.
    She bites that part, picks them up and runs around! That wasy she can see where she's going! She also uses
    them like soccer balls!
    Lisa B in NC
    Quilting is my Happy Thought!
    http://www.quiltingkrazy.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    my hubby uses them for his used insulin needles after he bends them.

Blog Entries
    Hubby uses them for screws and such in workshop. Store that extra roll of toilet paper. Just cover and there you go.
    sew1

I pour salt into them for use during the winter...I have a can at each door, so that I can sprinkle the salt on the sidewalk ice to make it go away...
    It sure beats trying to lug the big 30# bag of salt to sprinkle on the sidewalks.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

My mom also keeps bird seed in them to fill her feeder WE use one for dog food.

Blog Entries
    They make great scissor holdres. Cut slits in the lid and insert scissors

Great minds think alike...I too use them as paint containers, as well as salt scooper/shaker.
    What about those of you who knit or crochet..punch a hole in the lid and put your ball of yarn. (i think i would melt a hole, would be smoother and less likley to catch and fray

What a great Idea!!! I have lots of them and do not need flour and sugar etc containers anymore. I have many birds around so I will try this thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt View Post
    You can spray paint them. cut a small hole in the front and make bird houses..

I know you all are going to think I'm making this up, but I'm not.

My husband and I used to love to take Caribbean cruises. As his health was failing, we started talking about what we wanted to the kids to do after we were gone. We were sitting on the veranda of the cruise ship, looking over the beautiful water, and started talking about how we both felt so 'at home' there. We also felt that big funerals were too expensive, with that money better used elsewhere. (I have to add that our spirituality feels that the body is a container, and our souls will go on after our container stops working.)

So, agreed that whichever of us was the second to go would save the ashes of the first to go in a Folger's Coffee Can, and the kids would add the ashes of the second to go into that same can. Instead of spending a lot of money on a funeral, we have asked them to use our insurancr money to take a family cruise to the Caribbean (taking the Folger's can with our ashes), remember us fondly, and throw our ashes into the Caribbean.

I'm serious. My husband passed away four years ago, and while I haven't put his ashes in the Folger's coffee can yet, it is waiting out in the garage for us.

When we did our wills, our lawyer suggested we keep this request out of the document and just talk it over with the kids. He was afraid a judge would question our 'sound minds'.
    My soul is fed with needle and thread, my body with chocolate.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast