Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Help for slunk smell. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/help-slunk-smell-t302264.html)

bunbytes 01-16-2019 07:18 AM

Let our dog Lacey out one evening and she immediately was frantically scratching at the door to come. I opened the door and thought there had been a toxic gas attack! She went right into the mud room and I took her to the vet to be groomed (she's an Australian Cattle Dog/Short Haired German Pointer mix) and they got the smell out of her. I, however, smelled like skunk according the groomer with bad sinuses! I went directly to the car wash and got the smelly car detailed and then proceeded home to bathe and wash my clothes. Finally, the skunk smell was gone. Luckily my washer took care of the smell in the clothes.:)

P-BurgKay 01-16-2019 09:43 AM

Try a coke. I read where coke will take the smell out

cashs_mom 01-16-2019 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by crafty pat (Post 8193473)
Thank you all so much. I washed the quilt with baking soda, blue dawn and three gain tabs and the smell is finally gone.I sprayed hot vinegar under the bed and that really helped. I just wanted to save the quilt most of all so I am so happy it is saved. Thank you all so much for your help.

I'm so glad you got the smell out of the quilt. That would have been my biggest concern also. Could you put a dish of baking soda or kitty litter under the bed to help with the last of the smell? Or does the cat go under there and would dump it and make a mess?

mindless 01-16-2019 11:34 AM

I'm glad you were able to remove that smell. Dawn has become my best friend.
I won't use peroxide at all on quilts after reading this story by Leah Day: (scroll way down)

https://leahday.com/pages/duchess-wholecloth

madamekelly 01-16-2019 12:27 PM

I wonder if you coul try vitamin C tablets dissolved in water, since that is the highest acid in tomatoes......you could even use the solution in your carpet shampooer as long as everything is rinsed well.

spooky 01-24-2019 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by crafty pat (Post 8192852)
My DD brought her little dog with them for Christmas. She was in the back yard and found a skunk and attacked it just as I opened the door to get her in. She got it good and the wind blew it indoors as she ran in right under our bed.Then she ran in and jumped right in the middle of a bed with one of my treasured quilts my DM made for me many years ago. We have used everything we can think of to get the smell out of the carpet under the bed and the quilt. The quilt as been washed and washed and aired but I can still smell it when it is close to my face. Has anyone ever had this problem and if so please tell me how you solved the problem. I sure thank you for any help.

There is a product called Scent-A-Way (sp?) that hunters use to hide their scent from the deer. It is by far the best thing for skunk smell. I had a Great Dane that got into a skunk several times and this is the only thing I found that eliminated it. Good luck!

judykay 02-10-2019 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by crafty pat (Post 8192852)
My DD brought her little dog with them for Christmas. She was in the back yard and found a skunk and attacked it just as I opened the door to get her in. She got it good and the wind blew it indoors as she ran in right under our bed.Then she ran in and jumped right in the middle of a bed with one of my treasured quilts my DM made for me many years ago. We have used everything we can think of to get the smell out of the carpet under the bed and the quilt. The quilt as been washed and washed and aired but I can still smell it when it is close to my face. Has anyone ever had this problem and if so please tell me how you solved the problem. I sure thank you for any help.

My daughter's dog does the exact same thing and I hope some one can come up with a solution as they have tried everything from tomato juice to vinegar to dawn dish soap and nothing seems to help. Once that smell is in the house it is there for months.

Tartan 02-10-2019 08:32 AM

I saw on the internet that some people have had success with using wood ash to remove skunk smell. Apparently the wood ash alkaline ph works much like the tomato juice.

maviskw 02-11-2019 06:29 AM

Time is your friend. After a loooong time, the smell does go away. Experience !

ILoveToQuilt 02-15-2019 12:19 PM

Weird solution, but told to me by a wildlife veterinarian: douche liquid! (Summer's Eve type). Don't know why it works, but it does. Can be used on animals, humans, clothing, etc. My son used to work at a wildlife rehab center and was forever getting sprayed. Vet kept lots of douche on hand for the interns.