Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help for slunk smell.

Help for slunk smell.

My DD brought her little dog with them for Christmas. She was in the back yard and found a skunk and attacked it just as I opened the door to get her in. She got it good and the wind blew it indoors as she ran in right under our bed.Then she ran in and jumped right in the middle of a bed with one of my treasured quilts my DM made for me many years ago. We have used everything we can think of to get the smell out of the carpet under the bed and the quilt. The quilt as been washed and washed and aired but I can still smell it when it is close to my face. Has anyone ever had this problem and if so please tell me how you solved the problem. I sure thank you for any help.

The best thing I have found for skunk smell is tomato juice. When my dogs get into a skunk I take them directly to the bath & bathe them several times with tomato juice. Rub it in really good & them shampoo them with a combination of the juice & soap. I've never had it on a quilt but I'm assuming you could wash it (or let it soak in tomato juice) several times. At times I've not had the juice so used tomato sauce, or ketsup....anything with tomatoes. Good luck!

Blog Entries
    check more on quilt before using tomato juice on it. more should pop in to help soon. I myself am not sure.

I believe you can get shampoos for pets themselves at a pet store. They may have something for carpets.

Tomato acid does work, but may leave a permanent red stain...

OK, my dog got both of use sprayed. Please note dog in question is a small 15bl pug.
    She was washed with tomato sauce 16oz and then rewashed in top shampoo to remove the pink out of her fur.
    Me, all clothing off and in to the washing machine with 8oz tomato sauce including my shoes. The clothing was reran with clothing soap. Feet washed in tomato sauce and rewashed then dried. All clothing is fine and in use. I was wearing a white top and black pants, top is still white.
    She was not allowed to run around the house before cleaned.
    The side of the house was sprayed off every other day with water for three months and the smell is now gone.

Blog Entries
    Peroxide,liquid dawn and baking soda takes care of skunk smell
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

I used dawn on the dog-would probably work on the quilt, too.Original blue Dawn. Maybe a soak/rinse in Odo-Ban?

I know tomato juice works on dogs. Quilt I would not know what to use.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Hot vinegar helps neutralize the odour too. There are dog shampoos that neutralize odours too. You could try washing the quilt with washing soda or baking soda. Both should help and not hurt the quilt. But it may be a case of hanging the quilt outside on a sunny ice cold day.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

I don't know about skunk smell, but I cad a quilt that was peed on by a cat, then put in storage for at least 5 years. The smell was eye-watering, and I was sure it would never come out, and almost threw the quilt out. I washed it with Arm and Hammer Washing Soda, and was shocked to find the smell completely gone. At about $4 a box at WM, it might be worth a shot. Good luck

https://www.humanesociety.org/resour...nking-your-dog

This is what we use as our dog manages to find a not so friendly skunk once or twice a year. I would think it would be safe for a quilt and carpet. There is also an enzyme pet product you can get at the vets or if you have a pet supply store.

We used that on the dog and it helped until we got her to a groomer who used the shampoo. But the shampoo did not work on the carpet or quilt as well as it did on the dog. I was afraid the peroxide might bleach out the color on the quilt and carpet.

I will buy some of that and try it. I haven't tried that yet. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by francie yuhas View Post
    That's what I would use. Several times! I'd be afraid the tomato juice would stain the carpet and the quilt. If it doesn't work, you could call one of those disaster cleaning companies and ask them for suggestions.

Vets sell products to remove the smell from dogs, but I'm not sure about your carpet. I have had good luck removing skunky smells from books - might work for a quilt? I get a large plastic trash bag and fill it with clay kitty litter (nothing fancy, just the cheap kind). Then I lay the books on top and close the bag tightly. Leave alone for a couple of weeks and, when that time is over, the smell is gone. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by francie yuhas View Post
    I agree with this as this is what I used on our dog. I would not use thee tomato juice as it has acid in it..I think that would weaken the fibres. IMHO.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

I would be very afraid of using the peroxide, dish soap and baking soda on the quilt. It does work very well on animals and perhaps even on light coloured rugs but I think it would be harmful to the coloured fabric in the quilt.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Time is also helpful here. My cat got "skunked", but this was an outside cat who sometimes came inside. She stayed outside for a while after that, but if I came home from an errand and walked into the house, I could tell if my husband had let the cat in. The smell was faint, but it was there. I didn't fuss about it too much. It went away.
    More recently, my male cat, also an inside-outside cat, got sprayed, so he became an outside only cat. But it was now getting cold out and I knew he wouldn't like to be outside in the Wisconsin winter. We had a quite mild fall this year. After a month or more, I was complaining to my daughter about the cat, and she said she would take him. She has a barn with animals, not dairy cows but steers, lambs, ducks and such. She put him in there and it took him about a week to come out of hiding and start playing with the other cats and my granddaughter. No more smell.
    After a few months, the smell goes away.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Thank you all so much. I washed the quilt with baking soda, blue dawn and three gain tabs and the smell is finally gone.I sprayed hot vinegar under the bed and that really helped. I just wanted to save the quilt most of all so I am so happy it is saved. Thank you all so much for your help.

Let our dog Lacey out one evening and she immediately was frantically scratching at the door to come. I opened the door and thought there had been a toxic gas attack! She went right into the mud room and I took her to the vet to be groomed (she's an Australian Cattle Dog/Short Haired German Pointer mix) and they got the smell out of her. I, however, smelled like skunk according the groomer with bad sinuses! I went directly to the car wash and got the smelly car detailed and then proceeded home to bathe and wash my clothes. Finally, the skunk smell was gone. Luckily my washer took care of the smell in the clothes.

Try a coke. I read where coke will take the smell out

Quote Originally Posted by crafty pat View Post
    Thank you all so much. I washed the quilt with baking soda, blue dawn and three gain tabs and the smell is finally gone.I sprayed hot vinegar under the bed and that really helped. I just wanted to save the quilt most of all so I am so happy it is saved. Thank you all so much for your help.
    I'm so glad you got the smell out of the quilt. That would have been my biggest concern also. Could you put a dish of baking soda or kitty litter under the bed to help with the last of the smell? Or does the cat go under there and would dump it and make a mess?
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I'm glad you were able to remove that smell. Dawn has become my best friend.
    I won't use peroxide at all on quilts after reading this story by Leah Day: (scroll way down)

https://leahday.com/pages/duchess-wholecloth
    Last edited by mindless; 01-16-2019 at 11:37 AM.

Blog Entries
    I wonder if you coul try vitamin C tablets dissolved in water, since that is the highest acid in tomatoes......you could even use the solution in your carpet shampooer as long as everything is rinsed well.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast