Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Holiday gift exchanges at work or in groups (family events excluded) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/holiday-gift-exchanges-work-groups-family-events-excluded-t269926.html)

GKSM 09-13-2015 05:50 PM

I too agree with giving to a charity. In this PC correct world you just can't win. Why not get together and do some good.

cathyvv 09-13-2015 06:51 PM

hate them.

BETTY62 09-13-2015 07:28 PM

I do not care for them. I would rather have a pot luck lunch, chit-chat with others and see everyone bring a gift to put under the Angel tree for a needy child.

bearisgray 09-13-2015 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by BETTY62 (Post 7316780)
I do not care for them. I would rather have a pot luck lunch, chit-chat with others and see everyone bring a gift to put under the Angel tree for a needy child.

There are some working poor that could probably use some help. I would definktrly want what people to bring to be optional. For some, a box of crayons is a sacrifice.

Anniedeb 09-13-2015 08:37 PM

I have a small, very close group of friends that I exchange with. We are all extremely close, and the gifts are always well accepted, heartfelt and wonderful to get, and give. That being said, we also each have specific charities/causes that we support, so throughout the year we support each other by donating, or participating in those events. When I worked, however, that was a different story!!

nancyw 09-14-2015 05:38 AM

When I worked at ISUE we used to have gift exchange. One year I drew the boss's name. I gave him a package all wrapped up in brown paper and I wrote on the tag "here are a few of your favorite things". I don't remember what I gave him but they were a few of his favorite things.

Nanoo 09-14-2015 06:11 AM

I love the idea of putting a gift under the tree for a needy child. Where I worked we had a big Christmas party for the managers. We paid for our own food. Then we paid $20-$40 for a gift for the V.P. In addition the supervisors had to pay for a gift for their director, and everyone had to buy a gift $30-$40 for the Dirty Santa. I am sure this was a stretch for people who had several children or big families.

lynnie 09-14-2015 08:16 AM

I hate them. seems I put thought into it and usually get NOTHING back or crap. like $5 worth of 5 yr old lottery tickets. I'd rather pass them up than do them.

lynnie 09-14-2015 08:18 AM

I once worked in a jewelry store where after working 12 hr days for the store from the day after thanksgiving till Christmas eve,(yes till 9 pm on Christmas eve) was asked to give in $45 for the owner for a gift. This was in 1986.

joyce blint 09-14-2015 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie (Post 7317153)
I once worked in a jewelry store where after working 12 hr days for the store from the day after thanksgiving till Christmas eve,(yes till 9 pm on Christmas eve) was asked to give in $45 for the owner for a gift. This was in 1986.

Wow Lynnie, that is awful. If you were putting in those hrs, it was obviously for the money. And what would $45 in 1986 equal in 2015??? Considering inflation it would equal $96.66. Too much, in my opinion!!